INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing both Here and There ?  (Read 2441 times)

rainnea

Playing both Here and There ?
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:07:14 am »

Hi,
Is it possible to play both Here (on the client computer) and There (on the Media Server) at the same time ?
Basically, I'd like to have the same music playing throughout the house and thought that the Library Server feature would do this but get given the option of playback on one or other computer but not both.
Is this possible ?

thanks,

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing both Here and There ?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:32:27 am »

Look in the tree under playing now.
If you're on new enough build of version 14, you should see both your "here" zone and all "there" zones listed as branches under the playing now branch.
Each zone's playing now is independent.  You can play to multiple zones at the same time.
Push some alt metal to the man cave and some swing for the kitchen.
There is also a synchronize zone which would attempt to play the same song on multiple zones but due to latency in different sound outputs, usually doesn't work perfectly. 

rainnea

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:11:47 pm »

Thank you,
I can't find the synchronize function, where does it live ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:16:46 pm »

Player/Playback options/Zone Manager

rainnea

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:11 pm »

thank you, got it now,
however, can't get it to actually work.

I tend to have to go back and forth a lot between the living room / kitchen / workshop  and it'd be really nice to have the same music playing throughout.

thanks,

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »

I just upgraded to MC14 because of the new TRemote functionality and the possibility of not only controlling playback from another computer, but playing to multiple zones simultaneously. I tried synchronizing zones, but couldn't get it to work either.

Here's what I tried:

1. Run MC14 on 'server' machine and make sure the Library Server is started.
2. Run MC14 on 'client' machine (the rest of the steps are on the client)
3. From the File menu, select Library\'Search for Library Servers' (in my case, it finds the library from the 'server' machine and shows the IP address followed by the port # (81) under the title "Media Center" at the top of the app's window. This is the display window to the right of the player or transport buttons.
4. Click on the 'Playing Now' tree view and check if there are multiple green play buttons in the list. In my case there are 2. The first one is called 'Zone 1', I assume this means when I play music, it will play on the client, the other is called 'There:Zone 1', which I assume plays on the server.
5. Click the play button labeled 'Zone 1' and the top display should show the server's ip address followed by the port number xxx.xxx.x.x:80. When you play any music with MC14, the sound is played locally on the 'client' PC using the server's library. This is the same functionality we had with earlier versions of MC using the Library Server feature.
6.  Click on the play button labeled 'There:Zone 1' and the top display should now add the text 'There:Zone 1' to the right of servers IP address:port. Now anything I play with MC on the client is played out the 'server' system, but I don't hear anything playing from the client. This is the new remote control (TRemote?) feature introduced with MC14.
7. From the Player pulldown menu, select Playback Options. The bottom half of this menu deals with 'Zones'.

note: Now the TRemote feature seems to work with the multiple zones features. This is a little confusing because I thought multiple zones were possible if you had multiple soundcards (or a multichannel soundcard with multiple stereo pairs) with different stereo channels assigned to different zones. You could define zones for areas in your home with separate amps and speakers, like your living room, kitchen, family room, etc. With TRemote, now maybe we can have multiple PCs located in our home with separate sound systems connected to each PC. Anyhow, I tried to get it to work.

Each zone is listed in the Playback Options menu. Clicking on one will make it the active zone. This works the same as selecting it under the Playing Now tree menu. The command a few lines down labeled 'Toggle Zone' does the same thing. There's also a command labeled 'Synchronize Current Zone' that displays another cascading menu with the options: 'From xxx', 'To All Other Zones', 'To xxx'. It looks like xxx will always be the inactive zone (unless you have more than 2 zones to choose from). The Zone Manager feature also lets you toggle between active zones and set synchronization. It also gives you the option of changing the name of your zones. In my case I changed the name of the server zone to "Musicplayer server" and the client to "Office-PC client".

Here's what happened:

Activate the server PC and play some music. You should hear music playing from that system (in my case I started playing some John Mayer downstairs). Now pick Synchronize Current Zone to the client PC. Now music plays on my client PC located in my home office upstairs. However, the music playing in my office is not the same music playing downstairs. I stopped playing music in each zone. I tried setting the active zone to the office-pc client, then played some reggae on that system. Then I tried synchronizing the current zone to the musicplayer server. Again, with reggae playing in my office, John Mayer started playing downstairs. 

Has anybody been able to get this working? If so, could you give me/us a step-by-step set of instructions?

Thanks,
Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:40:02 pm »

6.  Click on the play button labeled 'There:Zone 1' and the top display should now add the text 'There:Zone 1' to the right of servers IP address:port. Now anything I play with MC on the client is played out the 'server' system, but I don't hear anything playing from the client. This is the new remote control (TRemote?) feature introduced with MC14.
Gregg,
That should play on your server.  It's working for me at the moment.

There are a lot of moving parts to this, so you may find places we haven't been yet.

Jim

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »

I am able to use the client to control the server, but I can't get them to synchronize and play the same music on the client and server. Is that possible?

-Gregg

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:51:32 pm »

Maybe not.  Our primary intended use for this is as a nice touch screen remote when you're sitting on your couch watching video on your TV using MC.

Our wiki (link above) has an entry on remotes and another on servers that might help.

topspin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 06:02:25 pm »

hmm, I'd love to have the audio in both zones playing the exactly the same thing at more or les the same time. I would have that that synchronize zones would let me do that. I try to do this, and the 'there zone' does start playing..but at the start of the song instead of the time in the song where 'here' is currently playing. Am I missing something?
Pages: [1]   Go Up