INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I share MC configuration?  (Read 1664 times)

MarkHirst

• Recent member
How do I share MC configuration?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:29:50 am »

Having tried and failed to get DLNA working on my Samsung 7 series I've now completely given up and am going for  multiple copies of MC.

I have my library (MP3, JPG, MP4 video & DVD images), artwork & tags stored on a network file server. I have my original copy of MC setup and using this library just as i want it - this is good.

I have setup my second copy of MC using the shared library and got this all working - this is also good.

On my first copy of MC i have setup lots of stuff in theatre view (categories, subcategories, searches, views) and rather than set this all up again in the second copy, i would like to simply share the configuration.

My question is ... is it possible to share the configuration of the first MC machine - a bit like sharing the actual library?

Is this possible or does each copy of MC have to have it's own configuration? If this is the case is this all stored in one directory or are there bits of configuration all over the place [files, registry etc]?

Thanks in advance ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I share MC configuration?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:00:28 am »

On my first copy of MC i have setup lots of stuff in theatre view (categories, subcategories, searches, views) and rather than set this all up again in the second copy, i would like to simply share the configuration.

My question is ... is it possible to share the configuration of the first MC machine - a bit like sharing the actual library?

Is this possible or does each copy of MC have to have it's own configuration? If this is the case is this all stored in one directory or are there bits of configuration all over the place [files, registry etc]?

Something like this will probably be available in MC15.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:06:57 am »

Its as simple as backup the library on one MC to your file server and restoring off it with the other. This will recreate the various viewschemes.

This depends on what it is, some elements are in the registry ie favourites, then there is the thumbs cache, you could copy that over or just rebuild it.

What matters here is how often you need to do this. Also you need to decide on workflow. Which PC will be the master machine and the other the client otherwise it could get messy over time.

The program as it stands does not allow you to sync changes from one library to the other, it allows viewing one library from the other via a client-server relationship and even allows remote library updates tho only in one direction.

Library server would make it all transparent.

MarkHirst

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:31 am »

Fantastic ...

This worked ... appart from .....

I now have two copies of MC, a common library on a separate network file server, can play everything from each machine OK, artwork & thumbnails all fine but ....

The only bit i can't get working is the 'fields to display' in the theatre view. On my original copy of MC i setup theatre view exactly how i wanted it - for example Video as a main heading with 'subheadings' of Full Library, By Genre, By Date Added and so on.

For each of these i then also defined an associated query which allows the appropriate video/audio be displayed under the appropriate heading.

It's these headings and their associated queries I'm missing. They don't appear to be stored in the MC library. It's this information which i need to copy ... but don't know where it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up