INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uncompressed WAV files misidentified as Video Files  (Read 1856 times)

DaLarry

• Recent member
  • Yesteryear's technology RIGHT NOW!
Uncompressed WAV files misidentified as Video Files
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:23 am »

This is an odd one.  I've been using Media Center since version 12. I have a few albums/CD's that I've ripped as uncompressed WAV files.  They used to appear in the database properly as audio files.  A few had gone "missing"; that is to say, I no longer saw them listed under "Artist" or "Album" where they ought to be.  I went to "find" one by "File|Open Media File" and found the uncompressed WAV's right where they should be.  When I open them they play fine but Media Center has them identified as video files.  I can't fix the tags or store the Album Art.  I'm running MC14 151.  My system* is a Gateway desktop w/P4 3.04Ghz, 4GB Memory, 2TB of disc space, running Win7 Pro 32bit.  What's up?  Why does MC think they are videos?
The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic.
Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Uncompressed WAV files misidentified as Video Files
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:04 am »

I'm not sure what happened, but try right-clicking the files and saying "Update Library (from tags)" to see if it corrects the problem.

Also, double-check the Audio > WAV setting in Options > File Types that it's set to Automatic or the JRiver audio engine.

As an aside, you might explore lossless compression like APE or FLAC.  They'll shrink your WAV files, add error detection, standard tags, and provide bit-for-bit identical playback.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DaLarry

• Recent member
  • Yesteryear's technology RIGHT NOW!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:00 am »

I'm not sure what happened, but try right-clicking the files and saying "Update Library (from tags)" to see if it corrects the problem.

Also, double-check the Audio > WAV setting in Options > File Types that it's set to Automatic or the JRiver audio engine.

As an aside, you might explore lossless compression like APE or FLAC.  They'll shrink your WAV files, add error detection, standard tags, and provide bit-for-bit identical playback.

Thanx for responding.  Actually I did switch to FLAC a long time ago.  I've only ripped a few CD's to WAV and that was quite some time ago.  I quit when I saw how much space they were eating up.  On your suggestion, I converted the .WAV files to .APE because I'd never auditioned that filetype.  It sounds great.  For what it's worth, the File Type was set to automatic and "Update Library from tags" had no effect.  The mystery remains, especially since at some time in the past the were correctly identified as audio files.  Oh well.....
The technology of a sufficiently advanced civilization will be virtually indistinguishable from magic.
Sir Arthur C. Clarke

DaveL

• Recent member
  • Alpha Programmer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:51:04 am »

I had the same problem with 14.0.155.  I was able to solve it by forcing the file association in Audio > WAV setting in Options > File Types to the JRiver audio engine.  Automatic seems to pick the wrong filters and make MC treat wav's as video files.

DaveL

• Recent member
  • Alpha Programmer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:28:54 am »

More Info:  It seems like after forcing the file association to use the JRiver input plugin the files are correctly typed as audio, BUT MC can't actually open\play\convert them.

I was able to make them work by forcing the direct show filters to the Haali Media Splitter filter.  Perhaps the wav files were "off spec"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up