INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 Pricing  (Read 12193 times)

BigMac

• Junior Woodchuck
MC15 Pricing
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:25:10 am »

I have purchased MC14 on Feb. 6, 2010 and need to buy another license for MC15?

Any plan to have some kind of upgrade price for MC14 user?

It is very sad to buy another license less than two months.. :'( :'(

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC15 Pricing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:28:25 am »

They usually offer a discount for owners of previous versions and I've also seen additional bonus discounts for "early upgraders".
They're also giving an MC15 license to people who bought MC14 after a certain release #. I don't remember what release that was or know what release you bought at, but look into that just in case it applies to you.

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:52:53 am »

It will be a few month before they release MC15. I think it will take another 3-5 months. From what JimH says they're only in early beta.

jmcafee

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »

I bought MC less than 2 weeks ago on March 14. How do I know which version of MC 14 I bought (thus qualify for the .154 or greater free upgrade to 15.x)?

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:26:55 am »

Version 14.0.154 (03/02/2010) and newer builds is supposed to include licenses for MC 15, so jmcafee should be covered, but BicMac need to upgrade.

There is probably others that have bought MC14 days at this time or earlier who will complain. As Bunglemebaby says, there will probably be an early adopters discount, and probably an upgrade special price. And remember that an upgrade is a choice. You don't have to spend a dime.

Around every version change there is people that complain about this. Let me beat you to the punch:
Would you complain to Panasonic or the shop, if you bought a new big TV, only to realize 2 weeks later that this model is being replaced soon by a newer, better model? Or would you complain if the old model drops in price right after you bought it? No, probably not. J River have to set their version change at some point. There will always be people that is a bit unfortunate when it comes to timing...
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:30:54 am »

Around every version change there is people that complain about this. Let me beat you to the punch:
Would you complain to Panasonic or the shop, if you bought a new big TV, only to realize 2 weeks later that this model is being replaced soon by a newer, better model? Or would you complain if the old model drops in price right after you bought it? No, probably not. J River have to set their version change at some point. There will always be people that is a bit unfortunate when it comes to timing...

Very well stated, and I agree.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:54:19 am »

Very well stated, and I agree.

I agree too.  However I do think the date of purchase should specify which license you get - not the build number you happen to be on.
ie If I happened to be on an older build of MC14 today, and had not clicked upgrade before purchase it seems mighty unfair that my license doesn't cover version 15, and yet someone who did happen to be on the latest version of 14 should get it?

If I'm understanding how this is working correctly?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:08 am »

... I do think the date of purchase should specify which license you get
All purchasers since March 23 received an MC15 license.

Any purchase from build 154 or newer received an MC15 license.

If you're not sure what you have, you can have our system e-mail you your licenses.  Choose option 2 on the Restore Page.

kurushi

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:57 am »

Hi have clicked on the restore page and i have now 8 restore left (previously 9 :(
And i can't find my build number after all this work.
And finally i can't buy MC15 because i don't see any link for purchase it with the upgrade price.
Thanks to help me and maybe to revert my 9 restore left:)

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:17:42 pm »

Does the information above mean that if I purchase now (and get the MC15 licence ?) I also can use the MC15 beta until a more stable MC15 is available? I need the "Kernel streaming" part since I use Windows XP and a HiFace USB-IF.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

Does the information above mean that if I purchase now (and get the MC15 licence ?) I also can use the MC15 beta until a more stable MC15 is available? I need the "Kernel streaming" part since I use Windows XP and a HiFace USB-IF.
Yes.  Download and purchase either MC14 or MC15.  You'll get an MC15 license in either case.

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 03:46:51 pm »

Thank you Jim for a very fast answer.

There were a link somewhere to an article on computer setup for best possible sound. Can you provide that link since I do not find it again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 03:52:53 pm »

I'm not sure what that would be.  You could try our wiki here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

and the article there on "Audiophile Info".

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 03:56:34 pm »

Thank you again Jim. That was the article I wanted to read again.

Stonehedge

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »

kurushi

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 06:06:11 am »

Bump no info about upgrade to mc14 to mc15
Thx.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »

And remember that an upgrade is a choice. You don't have to spend a dime.

Not really. After few months any development of previous version will be stopped and You stay with all its bugs.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 02:02:42 pm »

Not really. After few months any development of previous version will be stopped and You stay with all its bugs.

Well no software of Media Centers size is bug free, just go and take a look in the bug logs of any big software package.  At any point in time there is going to be bugs, so it's just a case of what you're willing to stick with.
If there were any MAJOR bugs then you would expect JRiver to fix them, but that's unlikely given where release 14 is at in it's development cycle.

You've paid to get the product where it's at and a certain amount of after support.  No guarantee that they'll keep on fixing it ever after.

This is no different to just about any product you buy.
Even if you buy a brand new car, it's not perfect.  You get the tape measure out there will be some gaps bigger than others.  Some times there's a design fault which means parts where quickly, but you won't know about it for a few years.  Sometimes you've gotta live with it - the car dealer says well it's outta warranty.  Maybe if it's a big enough problem then you can get it sorted.  The Car Manufacturers got to move on though, and chances are the new cars there building are going to be better than the old ones.

No ones forcing anyone to upgrade.  Plenty of people still come to these forums looking for support to MJ8.  It must still work for them, despite the fact it has issues...They obviously see it as a choice and aren't taking it!
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55592.0

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »

You've paid to get the product where it's at and a certain amount of after support.  No guarantee that they'll keep on fixing it ever after.

Yes, but MC development cycle is rather fast, isn't it? I've bought MC14 in September 2009, in September 2009 it will be obsolete, unsupported etc. MC14 introduced some new features, some of them a bit unpolished and present in MC in more or less the same state

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »

... in September 2009 it will be obsolete ...
Maybe you mean 2010.  MC14 won't be obsolete in 2010.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

Yes, but MC development cycle is rather fast, isn't it? I've bought MC14 in September 2009, in September 2009 it will be obsolete, unsupported etc. MC14 introduced some new features, some of them a bit unpolished and present in MC in more or less the same state

My dad bought a car with an early sat nag in it.  It was very obsolete very quickly.  Cost a lot of money!
He didn't rush out and buy another new car though.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »

Maybe you mean 2010.  MC14 won't be obsolete in 2010.

Yes I mean 2010.
We'll see. I've bought MC 12 in September 2007,  last build of MC12 was released in September  2008, MC13 in July  2009,
8 moths is a lot of time.

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

My dad bought a car with an early sat nag in it.  It was very obsolete very quickly.  Cost a lot of money!
He didn't rush out and buy another new car though.

Software and cars analogies usually are as witty as inadequate.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/the-limitations-of-car-computer-analogies/

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 04:45:43 pm »

I like cars.  I can do phones to though  ;D

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Software and cars analogies usually are as witty as inadequate.

Perhaps, but analogies shouldn't be necessary in the first place. If you believe the current pricing model/practice is somehow unfair, why don't you suggest a better alternative? The only one I can think of is a subscription basis. For your fee, you would have the right to use any version of program for exactly 12 months. That way, you would never have to decide whether to upgrade after 8 or 10 months. On the other hand, unless you renewed the subscription, the software would stop working after 12 months. While a subscription would clearly be "fairer," I don't think many users would like the idea of having to pay the fee each and every year to keep such software running. If a subscription were an optional alternative to the current model, I suspect JRiver would price renewals the same. In other words, it would be $25 to use the current version as long as you like, or $25 to use any version for 12 months. If there were such an option, I would have difficulty choosing. So I'm content with the current model, and find it difficult to see how it can construed as being unfair.

Having said that, it's interesting to ponder a hybrid model... A renewal fee would include the right to use a new version introduced within 12 months, but only to the end of the 12 month period. At that time, users would have the choice of continuing with the new version by paying another renewal fee, or reverting to the prior version (which would continue to work indefinitely). It seems to me this would have to completely remove any perception of unfairness. At the same time, it may make business sense to JRiver. More users would automatically upgrade to new versions, and that would put their renewal decision in a somewhat different context—a negative decision would mean giving up the new version. Okay, I'll take it back—some will complain about that. ;)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:49 am »

A lot of this is why I make strong efforts to buy right when Apple, JRiver, car companies, etc. just release their new product--or very soon after a release.  Then you have the longest period of not being bummed of your purchase.  Apple is not prone to price adjustments frequently.  They are spread apart and usually noticeable.

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 11:33:26 pm »

I am not concerned with how much the new license will cost, j river has never been out of my price range and the improvements /bug fixes are rapid .
I am purchasing then new license as soon as it becomes available.
If your not working at the golden arches trying to support a family, the value of this software FAR outweighs the cost.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:48 am »

I am not concerned with how much the new license will cost, j river has never been out of my price range and the improvements /bug fixes are rapid .
If your not working at the golden arches trying to support a family, the value of this software FAR outweighs the cost.

Well said and I fully agree.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 07:45:38 pm »

I will be buying MC15 shortly. The development and interactive support has impressed me over the last 3-4 years (didn't know about J River before). I have purchased 4 versions of Media Center for less than a full version of a MS OS- hard to whine/complain about that.

Daydream

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 08:51:31 pm »

for less than a full version of a MS OS

OK: beer, cars, now MS OS. What's the next term of comparison - Starship Enterprise? :) Man, this is getting out of hand...

rick.ca

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

What's the next term of comparison

The upcoming early-bird upgrade price is less than I paid to see Avatar. And I believe they're working on a 3D version of Theatre View... ;)

zuiko

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 03:17:33 am »

I have to say I have no problem with the pricing or frequency of updates. MC is easily the best money I have ever spent on software.

hottuna

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 09:09:43 am »

I'm not sure why anyone would complain about MC pricing. Every other software product charges for new releases, why not MC?  I've bought 7, 8, 11 and 12 and I'm now considering 14/15, and why not? It beats all other media players on the market, to a pulp.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 09:30:56 am »

I'm upgraded to MC15 ;D

221bBS

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »

Just upgraded, got to love the early bird special ;D

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 06:02:37 pm »

Since I know I won't be able to resist MC15, I purchased a license today. Won't migrate for a while though... :)
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 06:37:47 am »

Absolutely!  Fantastic product.  Fantastic price.  The special upgrade price I just paid for ($14) is incredibly generous.  Thank you J.river!
LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:07 am »

Just upgraded its a fair price in upgrade option.
Glad i found this product it's almost perfect like Opera in browsers :)
outofspace

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 09:02:35 am »

Last year in april i make upgrade to MC14 for 14,98 USD and now i make another upgrade to MC15 also for 14.98 USD.
This software deserve this money. You have a great work.
Thank you !
We see you next year for another upgrade :)
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 01:07:24 am »

I will likely buy the MC15 upgrade.  What I don't appreciate is that others "back to Media Jukebox" can get the same upgrade for the same price, without having paid to buy MC12, MC13, MC14, and now MC15.  That just isn't right to the paid supporters who stayed with MC from the beginning until now.

ypomoni

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:08 am »

enough is enough....sorry but 15 euros each year...it's too much
I'll go back to Winamp  so sorry but I can't stand this pricing politic.

>:( >:( >:(

désolé mais trop c'est trop !  acheter une solution correcte (mais avec encore des plantages) ok mais un budget de 15 euros par an pour cela...cela fait trop désolé.
je vais me retourner vers Winamp  ou pire Itunes qui finalement fait ce qu'on lui demande (la bibliothèque ne fonctionne pas si mal) avec une qualité plutôt correcte.
et même si MC est plutôt agréable il n'est pas toujours très stable (et j'ai acheté et utilisé les versions 10/11/12/13 et 14...  donc je sais de quoi je parle).

une mise à jour inférieure à 10 euros serait quand même plus convenable.

Vincent
High Res Music Only ! JRiver MC 23 - Qobuz - Asus Z97I plus - Yamaha DTS 24bits 96KHz - Windows 10 64bits

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:53 am »

et même si MC est plutôt agréable il n'est pas toujours très stable (et j'ai acheté et utilisé les versions 10/11/12/13 et 14...  donc je sais de quoi je parle).
Nous avon cette page pour stability problemes:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Crashes

C'est votre premiere post.  Si vous avez des problemes, vous pouvez demander ici.
Pages: [1]   Go Up