INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best encoder - Vorbis GT3  (Read 1908 times)

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
The best encoder - Vorbis GT3
« on: April 15, 2003, 06:21:15 am »

I have found a version of Ogg Vorbis encoder which is much better than official version 1.0.
It can be downloaded from http://sjeng.sourceforge.net/vorbisgt3.html. Installation is very simple. Download the file, rename it to oggenc.exe and then put it in MediaJukebox\Plugins directory.
Normal quality of Vorbis GT3 is similar to Normal/High quality of Vorbis 1.0.
Unfortunately there is no difference between GT3 and 1.0 if you select Low or Normal/Low quality level.

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
Re: The best encoder - Vorbis GT3
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 06:41:41 am »

arent they the same ones that now own the cdex ripper program?

if so the last version of it i got wont make ogg files that will play with anything.    so i stick  with mjb.  but thanks for the info.
roving cowboy / keith hall

MachineHead

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 06:37:16 am »

You can probably find out more about GT3 at Hydrogen Audio's site in the OGG forum. I think Garf is the one who is tuning this. And, IIRC, the tuning is geared more towards higher bitrates.

Xenno?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 08:02:28 pm »

Hi Mach'

My 'tude toward GT3 is that it may sound better by virtue of throwing more bits at it. I haven't as yet encoded anything with v1 Vorbis @ -q 8 that I haven't been satisfied with. So rather than going on an endless pursuit of audio perfection...I just stick with the stock block Xiph vorbis.

Brothers & sisters...I must admit now...I've done some sinful things in the past. But if I repent now, then maybe I'll be forgiven in the end....

Confessions of a Transcoder

I had ripped/encoded some ogg's (insert heart here) while down in North Carolina visiting my sister (fair use, right?). She has a huge collection (tons of Dead Can Dance/Lisa Gerrard and other groovy music). When I got back I found that I needed Indus in another format, but I didn't bring back anything lossless. So I...well...transcoded my q8 ogg into a LAME APS mp3. Not to sound blasphemous, but the mp3 sounds darn good! Alas though, I regret my lack of foresight, and wonder what the future holds for me now....

So I ask the Lord to please...have Mercy...on my soul.

10-27

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 02:18:49 pm »

arent they the same ones that now own the cdex ripper program?
if so the last version of it i got wont make ogg files that will play with anything.  

CDex 1.50 beta10  uses Ogg Vorbis 1.0.
Some players have old plugins which can play Ogg Vorbis RC1 and RC2, but can't play RC3, 1.0 and GT3.

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 04:20:09 pm »

Brothers & sisters...I must admit now...I've done some sinful things in the past. But if I repent now, then maybe I'll be forgiven in the end....

Oh boy, here we go...

So I...well...transcoded my q8 ogg into a LAME APS mp3. Not to sound blasphemous, but the mp3 sounds darn good! Alas though, I regret my lack of foresight, and wonder what the future holds for me now....

So I ask the Lord to please...have Mercy...on my soul.

Feel like a turncoat now? hehe hehe hehe  ;D

PS - The OGG-er lord might not view this the same as the rest of us. We have joy for those who have seen the light. <INSERT> SMIRK </INSERT>
Pages: [1]   Go Up