INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to deal with MC on two PC's  (Read 2069 times)

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
How to deal with MC on two PC's
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

Ok, I think I have thoroughly confused myself reading the wiki and posts here on the forum so I am just going to lay out my set up and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on how to achieve what I need to accomplish.... Here it goes.......

I have a laptop that I use as my primary computer.  On this computer I keep my "Master" music collection and where I create playlists.  I also have an HTPC that I use for media playback using MC.  All content played on that HTPC machine gets pulled from my windows home server.  The music on my Server has been copied from my laptop and periodically updated using Synctoy.  This seems to work ok, but I do not know how I can import the playlists from my laptop to my HTPC and keep everything synced up nicely so that if I don't feel like firing up my laptop, I can still listen to the same playlists on my HTPC.  Is this possible?  I always thought that when you created a playlist it points to an absolute filepath location.  If that is the case, If I just import the playlists from my laptop into my HTPC the files would not play since that filepath in the playlist would be incorrect to the filepaths to those same songs on my HTPC music library location.  Can someone help me out here???  Thanks for any help.

Dave

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • MC Nerd
Re: How to deal with MC on two PC's
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »

All the songs in a library point to an absolute location, so you are correct, songs in a playlist can't be "shared" they way you want.

However what you can do is Share the Library. What you do is make all the songs point to the same path on both computers. You can do this by mapping a drive letter (lets say Z:) to the root of where the files are stored. That way on each computer Z: can "point to" anywhere in the filesystem (or even at a different computer) but below it the paths to the songs are the same. You then use "Rename, Move & Copy Files" function to change the existing paths to use the new one on one of the computers. Try this on only a few files to make sure you get it correct the first time. (I believe you can use CTRL + Z to reverse the changes, but I haven't done it in a while).

Finally, you need to periodically copy the library as well from one computer to the other using SyncToy.

With this configuration you can share playlists even though the files are actually stored in two separate locations for each computer because the library has the same path to a file on both computers. I hope this make sense.

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:24:23 am »

That is what I was thinking would be the only logical work around.  I just see so many features available in MC that I figured after reading the forums for a solution over the last few days I would post the question in case there was some "magic bullet" so to speak in  MC that would accomplish this.

The only question I have now is what happens to the playlists I already have on my Laptop as that is probably going to be the computer where I am going to have to re-map a new drive letter to.  Will my existing playlists still work?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »

Since you will be sharing a library you have to pick one to share between the two computers. It does not matter which one. If you pick the laptop's library and "move" the files to the new mapped drive, and then run the "Move Rename or Copy" library command, they will still work. So will all the library information for the files...

MusicHawk

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

My solution is essentially the same. I don't use library server, instead I automatically update all the library files from master to playback PC nightly.

I always put MC's library and media files on the same drive letter and same folder on desktop and laptop. I also do this on my third MC computer: I use one for home ripping/editing/management, one for home playback, and a laptop for mobile listening.

Running MC on multiple PCs can be done in many ways. I do this:

Simplest is to have a second drive. Assign it a letter that Windows won't change when another drive or device (internal or external) gets connected "ahead" of it. I set up my desktop's second internal drive as "M:".  A second drive is very simple to use, and also lets you choose a large drive, and get max performance. For my laptop, I use a portable USB drive and assign it the same letter as my desktop drive so MC uses it identically. (My portable drive is 500GB, soon to be 1TB -- I have a large music library.) Of course a disadvantage is the external drive is one more thing to lug around and connect/disconnect.

Or, if adding a drive isn't feasible on one computer, but you want MC to see the same drive letter, probably you can use the DOS SUBST command to assign a second letter to an existing drive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subst. Or you can assign a network path to a drive letter.

Once I have an identical drive letter on every computer, I tweak MC's various path settings to put every possible MC library file at the same location (drive\path), including the full library of songs, the cover art folder, the location of saved views, library design/custom fields, etc. (Note that in some areas of MC, the ability to choose a different path isn't obvious. You have to save something that can be saved, specify the new path, and then MC remembers it.)

A third way is to edit MC's database, after opening it on the "other" computer, using search/replace to change the stored drive letter/path of ALL the records. This is brute force editing of the entire library, and isn't necessary with my method.

I set the backup/sync software to copy the necessary folders from my master computer to the others. Since the drive letter and MC folders are identical on all my MC computers, it "just works".

One tip: My family room playback computer is updated nightly from the main library computer. To avoid users having to restart MC or reload the library to "see" the changes, I set MC on the playback computer to Auto Import from the main library folder (M:\music in my setup). This might seem unnecessary or even wrong, since all the music files are already in that folder, AND so is the database that was freshly updated the prior night. What running Auto Import seems to do is force MC to refresh its view of the database, triggered by any changed files, so I don't have to do it manually. So each morning, we simply select a playlist, click Play, and we're using the exact everything as it was on the master computer as of the night before -- new tracks, changed tracks, database edits,  cover art changes, new/changed playlists, revised views, etc.

To copy all the files from master library PC to the others, I use SyncBackSE, because it is smart about copying only what is changed, and can be run on a schedule (nightly in my case), etc. But any number of other backup/sync programs can do the same.

One notable difference between this and using MC's server mode is that it is strictly one-way. Users can do whatever they want to the playback computer's library, but those changes never affect the master library on the main computer. I think this is a benefit, but in some cases it might be annoying.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:30:39 am »

This sounds like the solution I need to employ.  I was looking at the "Rename, Move and Copy" option and I think this is the way to fix the broken links in playlists once I remap my drive letters to something different unless I am wrong.  I am gonna give it a try this weekend.  Thanks for your input.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:19:04 am »

I agree.  I just spent 2 to 3 weeks figuring out the best way (you were probably at the post and your brain started to hurt) and I was searching for a sync funtion that would sync 2 libraries together which I suggested they employ in another version.  Long story short it doesn't do that.

At the end of the day you need to either 1) library server 2) share library.   The only downside to them both is that you will inherent the views (ie theatre view, sorting etc) of the 1) server 2) master library.  That was an issue for me because I needed to different setups.

Anywho the above is the only 2 ways.  Previous post explained brilliantly how to do that so I won't add anything.  Just wanted to confirm.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up