INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Features available? (and some questions on Codecs)  (Read 1898 times)

ajowers

• World Citizen
Features available? (and some questions on Codecs)
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:10:34 am »

Hi,

1)  I would like a Rip progress in Theater Mode
2)  I would like integration of an online store for FLAC that upon purchase will download and install into MC14+ (without requiring windows skills from the owner)

Questions on Codecs:

I just built my second HTPC.  This time I did not load KLCodePack first and I am pleased to find that it already can rip cds into flac and play them back.  I am into audiophile output specifically.  I have some mkv videos I want to play now but the codecs arent loaded.  I am worried that when I install KLCodecPack there are layers of "stuff" that may interfere with audio quality or butt heads with MC14.

What do you reccomend installing, after mc14, on a HTPC, do watch xvid, divx, mpeg2, mpeg4, and mkv ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Features available? (and some questions on Codecs)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:49 am »

Try CCCP.  Start at the DirectShow Guide on our Wiki.  Turn off Taskbar Icons for Haali and FFDShow (3 times).

red86

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:35:52 pm »

No idea about rip progress but a suggestion in regards to codec packs...

I use Shark007's Windows Vista (and now 7) codec packs.  It does in fact include FFMPeg/etc but doesn't seem to clash with J River Media Center.  I believe that the settings in the FFMpeg bundled with MC are kept separately with the settings in the codec pack, if that makes sense.

That said, the Shark007 pack allows me to do a lot of things that I consider essential, including thumbnailing h264 files shot with my Creative Vado HD pocket cam, and also loading them into video editing software that might not usually support them.

The only catch is that there are 32 and 64 bit versions, and if you want the full spectrum of coverage, you need to install (and configure) both.  Aside from that, highly recommended.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:33:23 pm »

I would stay away from CODEC packs in general and just install what you need.  CODEC packs often take over playback in your system is ways you can't easily control.  If I had to use a pack I would just stick with CCCP.

I have 64bit Windows 7 with the following:
AC3File
AC3Filter
CoreAVC (the new version works with NVidia CUDA for hardware based H264 decoding)
DivX (the new version allows MKV streaming to the XBox via Windows Media Center and thumbnail creation)
Haali Media Splitter (installed by one or more of the above)

For any oddball stuff, I just use VLC.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »

Thanks. It looks like I have a new project for the weekend :)

My first HTPC has KLCodecFull pack installed with MC14.  the second HTPC is MC14 vanilla - nothing else.

On the first one, should I uninstall KLCodecFull or will it then remove files needed by MC14 ?  (worried)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:26 pm »

Your best bet if you want to change your CODEC setup is to first uninstall any packs or individual CODECs or splitters to get back to as clean of a system as possible.  CCCP has a tool that helps identify installed CODECs and packs to aid with this cleanup.  Then install either the new pack and/or the individual CODECS you want to use going forward.

Another good tool to have on hand is MediaInfo.  It will tell you what you have inside the file and help you figure out what you need to play it back properly.

You aren't going to break MC by uninstalling CODECs but you may make it unable to play some content back until the proper stuff is in place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up