INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable install  (Read 1752 times)

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
portable install
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:36:49 pm »

I tried the portable install option of media jukebox 12 and it is by no means portable. First it asked for a restart after the install not a good sign for portable applications. Using Revo Uninstaller I had Media Jukebox in the listing. That should not happen with portable installs either. When I did a moderate uninstall with Revo first it could not find an uninstaller second there we over 1400 registry items media jukebox had put in the registry. I do not think you should have a portable install option if this is going to be the case.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Re: portable install
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:55 am »

Have you tried Media Jukebox 14?

I use the portable install with Media Center 14 and while it does have a few quirks it does work fine.
I often take my hard disk with me to use it at mates etc, and it just runs fine, with no further install required.

Due to licensing performing an install of the portable install requires a full install anyhow, so I don't see the registry stuff as being a problem.

I'd love to see the portable install get a bit more attention, but I don't think many people use it.
Using a remote with it is still a bit hit and miss.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:31:47 am »

Media Jukebox doesn't have a portable install option (or at least I can't access it).

In Media Center the portable install option is intended for users who already have Media Center installed, but who might occasionally like to use a portable version.

As Mr ChriZ said, in order to be able to start the portable installation a registered standard Media Center instance must already be present on the OS.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »

Intriguingly there's a bug in the MJ installer.
If you go to custom install, hit next, then hit back you can chose portable install.

I suspect it doesn't install properly like MC does.

I'd love to see portable install become the regular install, with additional non portable additions for a home machine.
Leave the registry behind! =)

sdcoochie8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »

Intriguingly there's a bug in the MJ installer.
If you go to custom install, hit next, then hit back you can chose portable install.

Yes that is how I got the portable option and I too would like to see a fully portable option or not a portable option at all.

I do use MC14 and if an option to install MJ 14 on a flash drive is not fully portable then I would imagine you wouldn't be able to use it properly on a different computer because it is expecting registry values that are already installed on the host system that originally had MC14 installed. Portable apps should do no writing to the registry or expect certain values in the registry. Should be unzip to a folder and run or install to a folder and run. The only thing you have to do to get rid of it is delete the folder.

I love MC and MJ and have been a registered user for years and I'm not trying to be a pain or a stickler. However, if you are offering a portable install in the custom options it should be portable. It would be nice to have a portable version of MJ or MC but I don't think as it stands it is truly portable and it shouldn't be offered as such. I suppose you could make your own thinstalled version but this is obviously not an option for everyone and since there are other players that are already portable I think you should wait until you've got it right.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »

MC is Very Portable.  If you want proof stick it on a memory stick and go and run it on another machine where there's no install.
It doesn't expect any values in the registry.  It can reference media files on the (Install Drive) so there's no need to change drive letters.
I don't know what you'd call it if not portable. 

The portable install in MJ is obviously just a bug in the installer, it shouldn't be there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up