INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD burner not recognized  (Read 830 times)

JamieF

CD burner not recognized
« on: June 28, 2002, 09:25:42 pm »

How can I escape the generic driver? I want to uncheck the 2 second gap and get a higher burn speed. My TDK 401248B cd burner is on the goldenhawk supported list, but I can only use the generic driver. At first, the settings window showed me a burn speed option of 32x but that went away when I exited MJ and returned - now it is limited to 12x, gap required, only the generic driver available. I downloaded and installed the adaptec aspi 4.71. The adaptec aspichk shows aspi32sys.dll at v. 4.71.1 and the wnaspi32.dll at v. 4.57. I had this problem on MJ 8.0.293, and now on 8.0.315 with same the problem. Are some cd burners on the supported list not supported, or do I have another problem?

System info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.315
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 547 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 33 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: 4.57 (1008) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Lucy

RE:CD burner not recognized
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 07:27:28 pm »

I had the same problem too, but now it works fine again.

It is like this:

Shortly after I installed the MJ8,  I went to Options to check the settings of CDburning.....it could not recognise my CD-writer (RICOH MP7083A  which is a popular model)...I was frustrated...Then I clicked its "detect", and after 5 minutes MJ had detected my CD-writer!

I hope this helps you

JamieF

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 06:55:57 am »

I found that, when I installed a new (4.71 or 4.71.1) WNASPI32.DLL from either Adaptec or Ahead Software, for some reason neither install would overwrite the old file in the WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder. Or, when it did overwrite it with a new version, that new file was again replaced by the old old 4.57 file version. Now all is OK, because (instead of doing a proper cleanup and reinstall) I just copied the new DLL into the WINNT/SYSTEM32 folder.

JimH,
1. Given the number of posts on this topic, it should most certainly be addressed for MJ8 with more and better text information in the Help files where help can more easily be found by users.
2. Please make this whole area work better in future MJ's - I should not have to be cleaning up and reinstalling my aspi layer, or manually overwriting DLL files in my WINNT/SYSTEM32 directory, to get core MJ functions to work. Thanks.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 07:21:52 am »

JamieF,
I'm afraid this is one of those areas where the standards and practices are so different that it will never be problem free.  We saw a similar problem in the old days with modems and then again with multiport serial cards with our connectivity software.  

In your case, is there any software that has installed itself to automatically write the drive.  I've forgotten who or what, but HP or somebody installs software that makes a writer look like just another drive.  It could have the file locked that you were trying to over write.

If the file can't be overwritten, try renaming it and see who complains.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up