INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library organisation issues: 1 album - 2+ CDs and more  (Read 2529 times)

Skin

• Recent member
library organisation issues: 1 album - 2+ CDs and more
« on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:30 am »

I think I would like double and triple CDs to appear in one album. I have organised it this way in XP but have not found a way of doing it in MC. I tried deleting all albums from MC and then importing them again but it looks the same ... 3 albums (with cover art) for a triple CD. Moreover, "Albums" has doubled up with "Albums (1)" and "Albums" with the same content.
A related issue is that the 3 "albums" of the triple disc collection are not listed together. If I cannot put all 3 in the one album is there a way of getting them next to each other?

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: library organisation issues: 1 album - 2+ CDs and more
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:05:19 am »

What I do for multiple cd albums. is to select all of them. Change the album names so that they are all the same, this usually means dropping (cd1). (cd2) ect..

And then I use library tools to renumber the tracks  according to the list. So instead of each album having 10 tracks, I now have 1 album with 30 tracks.

Then just use the rename and move tool to put it back together, It will also delete the now empty (cd1) ect folders.

This works for me, if you want to retain the original track # you will have to do it some other way. Maybe put the original #'s in the comment section or something.
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:54:58 am »

That is what the 'Disc #' field is for.

For example:
Pink Floyd, The Wall spans 2 discs with 13 tracks each.
Album title for all tracks = The Wall
CD1 = Disc #1, Tracks 1-13
CD2 = Disc #2, Tracks 1-13

As long as your sort for the album is 'Disk #', 'Track #' it will play them all through in order.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:20 pm »

That is what the 'Disc #' field is for.
Just a note of caution, using the Disc # field may not work when putting double albums on some portable players. With Rockbox, if I play a double album tagged with proper disc numbers and track numbers, playing the album will result in playing track 1 from one disc, then track 1 from the other, then on to track 2 from each disc and so on.

Skin

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

Just a note of caution, using the Disc # field may not work when putting double albums on some portable players. With Rockbox, if I play a double album tagged with proper disc numbers and track numbers, playing the album will result in playing track 1 from one disc, then track 1 from the other, then on to track 2 from each disc and so on.

Thanks - have followed the advice about but will look for that when I move music to other devices. May have to number the tracks as sequentially across all discs

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:54 am »

Thanks - have followed the advice about but will look for that when I move music to other devices. May have to number the tracks as sequentially across all discs
I am coming to that conclusion also. It also works well for audio books and the like. Still having the disc # can be useful, but really, just having the tracks sequential no matter what is the main thing.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »

The track number issue makes sense, never thought of it since my iPod deals with it correctly.  If you really want to keep the original track numbers (I probably would, but I'm weird that way), use the normal track number field to capture the playback sequence and create a custom field to capture the original track no. 

I do that with dates - the regular date field is the CD/LP/etc release date and a custom 'track date' field captures the original release date of the track. 

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:26:05 am »

I do that with dates - the regular date field is the CD/LP/etc release date and a custom 'track date' field captures the original release date of the track.
Could you post what Data Values you use for your "Album Date" field? I've tried to make one, but I always get weird formatting/truncating issues. (I'm assuming you've got a full year/month/day setup here, I can do just the year ;) ).
-JB

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:06:47 am »

Could you post what Data Values you use for your "Album Date" field? I've tried to make one, but I always get weird formatting/truncating issues. (I'm assuming you've got a full year/month/day setup here, I can do just the year ;) ).
-JB

Just capturing the release year of the track, not the actual date.  That way a playlist for 1980's music includes the tracks released that year, not the 'best of' albums released that year.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 02:20:48 pm »

Just capturing the release year of the track, not the actual date.  That way a playlist for 1980's music includes the tracks released that year, not the 'best of' albums released that year.
Ah! It was there the whole time, but I just didn't look at it right. I'm looking to be able to get the same type of behavior you're talking about there. Thanks for the subtle shift in perspective!
Pages: [1]   Go Up