INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort by "name" bug.. mc14  (Read 2671 times)

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
Sort by "name" bug.. mc14
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »

Search for a particular artist. Then in Artist view, bottom section,  Multiple albums showing from that artist.

Click name column to sort "all files by name (removes grouping temporarily)"

It will sort for a split second then revert back to grouped.

It will sort correctly if you hit the refresh button next to the tab, then sort.

His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sort by "name" bug.. mc14
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

Strange. It works fine for me. Is there anything unusual about what is displayed after the search? Does it change after a refresh? I wonder if for some reason the search isn't completing properly, then the sort causes a refresh instead of doing the sort. :-\

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 03:41:19 pm »

Strange. It works fine for me. Is there anything unusual about what is displayed after the search? Does it change after a refresh? I wonder if for some reason the search isn't completing properly, then the sort causes a refresh instead of doing the sort. :-\

No nothing unusual and nothing changes after the refresh.

I just tested it again, searched for "prince".  I clicked one album, it showed those tracks at bottom. Then clicked in open space in top view to show all the albums in bottom view.
Then the name sort problem described above.

It seems if you sort all  right after the search it sorts correctly. But if you display one album then display all , you have to refresh, even if visibly the refresh did nothing.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »

I clicked one album, it showed those tracks at bottom.

OIC. So it's not an Artist view, it's an Album view. You can't do a search for an artist, narrow the selection to an album and then change the sorting of the search results. It's sorting the original search results. If you want the tracks of one album sorted by name, select or search for the album first. Or, more generally, use the search wizard to narrow the selection, then you can change the sort order by clicking on the column headers.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »

OIC. So it's not an Artist view, it's an Album view. You can't do a search for an artist, narrow the selection to an album and then change the sorting of the search results. It's sorting the original search results. If you want the tracks of one album sorted by name, select or search for the album first. Or, more generally, use the search wizard to narrow the selection, then you can change the sort order by clicking on the column headers.

What do you mean you can't search for an artist, I do and it works. I search for artist and it will show me all their albums. Sorting the tracks of one album have no problem.
It's when you choose the option to ungroup and sort that will not work unless you refresh first. And the refresh changes nothing visible. All the tracks are showing already.  The reason  I do this is too easily locate dupes across different albums. The names will be in alphabetical order.  Oh well, I know to just hit refresh and it works fine..  Thanks!

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »

Please re-read my last post. I believe it describes accurately what is happening.

For working with duplicates, you can apply a rule that isolates them. And, of course, it would be sensible to apply this to a view that sorts by artist/name and does not group by album.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:06:54 pm »

This is getting a little off track, The sort problem is there. It does not matter what view you use. The same problem is in a fresh install of mc15.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »

You said you narrowed the selection to one album after doing the search. Attempting to sort reverts to the original search results. This is not a bug—it's just how it works. Attempting to accommodate the behaviour you're expecting would just cause more problems.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »

I don't think you understand, it does not matter what is showing in the bottom view. There is the name sort un-group option when you left click the name column title , it is there. It does not work properly.
If it wasn't meant to work, why put it as an option?

Just did another test, same behavior even if you don't use search.

1) Pick any artist with multiple albums. Those albums will now show up in the bottom view.
2) Left click the name column title to sort by name(removes grouping temporarily), it will momentarily change and then switch back.

It does not do this if you hit refresh before trying step 2). It will work as expected.

If you are supposed to hit refresh after choosing an artist and before sorting, it should say so when you choose the sort option.

This is no longer a problem for me since I know to refresh. Just posting this for others.

Can't explain any better, if no one else can duplicate this than there are stranger things going on.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:44 pm »

What build have you been using? I did not see this behaviour yesterday after reasonably thorough testing, but now I do. I updated from 155 to 160 sometime yesterday, but I'm not sure whether that was before or after testing this. I've also changed a lot of view settings while testing. So I'm not sure if we should conclude a bug has been introduced in a recent build. It would be helpful if others would try this and tell us what they see.

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »

I don't know when it started, I have been using mc14 a lot in the past few weeks. Can't remember if was there before my last upgrade..
Using the latest mc14 and mc15, both have the issue.Trying to use mc15 full time now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up