INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "and not" logic in categories  (Read 1887 times)

miserythemexican

• Recent member
"and not" logic in categories
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:16:37 pm »

Hi-de-hi, hope somebody can help me out with this...

...and i hope i can manage to explain what i mean...

i really want an "and not" category in one of my library views. i have an audio view with two 'keyword' panes, allowing me to filter with OR logic (by selecting multiple keywords in the 1st pane), also with AND logic (by selecting keywords in each pane), but not with NOT.

bear with me if this isnt making sense (im confusing myself a bit as i write this)

if i want to see tracks with either british or acoustic as keywords i select the two keywords in the same category. if i want british acoustic tracks i select british in one category and acoustic in the other. if i want all my british music apart from the acoustic tracks i dont know what to do. selecting british in one pane and everything except acoustic in the other returns british acoustic folk tracks because i have selected folk in the second category.

the only thing that has come to me is to create a new semicolon delimited library field the same as keywords (with the same entries) but with 'accepted values' of the 50 or so keywords i use, and then another semicolon delimited field of calculated data which is basically the inverse: if [keywords] does not contain [acoustic] then [keywordsnot] does...

this seems stupid, and im sure i would regret it when i decide i love opera music, or whatever, and wish to add that to my list of keywords.

Does anybody have any bright ideas to save me from seriously considering this option?

or maybe a clever trick of the expression language to make this idea less painful?

NB the reason i think i need a new keyword field is that my podcasts are automatically tagged with such brilliant keywords as "and" (cant see how to stop this although i know how to set genre/artist/album/comment/name/filename/directory for podcasts, keywords isnt an option there)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "and not" logic in categories
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:28:16 pm »

i really want an "and not" category in one of my library views.

That would be a handy feature, but there are ways to cope without it. For ad hoc exclusions, using the search wizard is probably the most practical approach. Just select what you want to include using panes, then set exclusions (e.g., [Keyword] is not any "acoustic") using search. If there are exclusions you use regularly, you can add a pane of Search lists—each list being a specific exclusion (only one can be selected at a time). Or you might have just one "Keyword is not any..." list in a collection/pane of search lists of various types, and edit that as required.

miserythemexican

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:13:49 pm »

cheers rick.ca. the search category works well enough... but once my mind gets stuck on something, i find it hard to let go... so this is where i am now, after lots of copy & pasting - a calculated data field [notketwords]:

If(IsEqual([Keywords],ListItem([AllKeywords], 00),8),,ListItem([AllKeywords], 00));If(IsEqual([Keywords],ListItem([AllKeywords], 01),8),,ListItem([AllKeywords], 01))..... .....&DataType=
    where
[alkeywords] is exactly what it sounds like. is there any way to replace the 00s 01s 02s etc with a counter? it would need to count each digit twice (ie count 00, 00, 01, 01, 02, 02 etc). my first (half formed then half forgotten) thought was something to do with rounding, but i cant see sense in that cos FormatNumber(Counter(0, 0.5), 0) would just keep counting zeros.

hmmm......

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »

Yes, "hmmm..."

I'd just use a Search list, and avoid the risk of making my head explode. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up