INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center problems as video player with Windows 7 X64  (Read 4345 times)

doright

• Recent member
Media Center problems as video player with Windows 7 X64
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

Hello,

I've been using MC almost exclusively for music over the past few years, but recently built a new HTPC with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 and want to start playing videos also.

I have a library of ripped DVD's in Video-TS format. They all play fine using Power DVD9.
I'm trying to get Media Center to display and play these files with no luck.

First of all, when I add the folder that holds these files, D:\Videos, to the video "File Location" in options, it will not import them to the library.
Second, if I open a folder and try to play the video_ts file the playback is horrible. I've messed around with trying different codecs with no luck.

I have another desktop computer with WinXP64 and I'm able to play them back fine (although I cannot import them with that PC either).
Once I do play them with the XP64 machine, they show up in the video library. So, on that machine, I have to import them one at a time.

Is there something I'm missing on the Windows 7 machine? Is the video playback compatible with Windows 7 X64?

Thanks!

roopertd

• Recent member
Re: Media Center problems as video player with Windows 7 X64
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:49:31 pm »

I cannot give advice on how to play back ripped dvd's because i use j river to open mine with an external program.
However i can explain how to import VIDEO_TS folders. Hopefully it is of some help.

When J River imports a VIDEO_TS folder what its actually doing is importing the IFO contained inside.
All DVD's have a an IFO with the same name. I think its called “VIDEO_TS.IFO”.
To import these make sure that IFO is checked on the auto import options.
Because all the IFO's have the same name, when they are imported, it is difficult to distinguish one from another.
To help distinguish, you can add tags to them. A complex method of tagging is here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56096.0

A simple way to tag them is to have your VIDEO_TS folder located inside another folder that's name is the movie title.
Then highlight all your IFO's in j river, right click, go to library tools - fill properties from filename.
A box will appear.
In the Directories field type       [Name]\VIDEO_TS
Leave the Filename field unchecked

Once this is done you should be able to sort by name and see every dvd individually.

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:45 am »

Hey Ruperturd

Thanks for the info. You just saved me hours of work.

They are all imported into my video folder. I just need to add cover art and I'm set. Now if I can figure out how to play them.....  Anyone???

They actually load up and play but the video is very choppy and the voice is choppy and way out of sync. What codecs are you all using to play back video_ts files?

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

I can shed some light I'm using win7 64bit.

First off windows 7 unlike xp ships with filters for dvd and h264 playback which being a Microsoft product, overrides any choice that you make meaning even if you select cyberlink, ms filters may still be loading.  There is a program called filter tweaker which helps you override microsoft's settings.  Downside is this can disrupt windows media player and thumbnailing but if that's not an issue then go ahead.  I skipped the first few options in it and then right at the end on the bottom there is an option to disable microsft's library completely which is what I chose because I use all my own filters in jrmc.

So in order to find out what filters are being loaded right click on the video when it is playing and near the bottom there will be show filters or something like that.  Cursor over that and you will be shown what filters are being used.  Post that info.

If cyberlink is not listed then choose select filters and then choose cyberlink video decoder.  There are a few options here and I can't completely recall (because I'm at work) but it is something like Cyberlink Video / SP Decoder (pwdvd9). Close the video and play it again, if cyberlink is listed and its playing well you're golden.  If cyberlink isn't listed then you are having the same problem as I am having which is that cyberlink will not load even when selected.  At this point the resolution I've been given is reinstall so I'm going to try that and if it doesn't work I'm at a loss but here is the thread. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56936.0

If you can't get resolution with cyberlink try coreavc.  I have that as well and it does load but I have an unrelated issued with h264 1080p content but given the cpu load vs dvd playback you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

OK, here is the graph I copied as you requested.
I've messed around with this for a few hours again and still no luck.

The only way I can get this to play at all is to use the Windows Media Player Engine under "Playback Method". This plays well but I can not use my remote (USBUIRT) to control it.

The method that works on my XP64 machine is:
Playback Method: Automatic
Audio Decoder: PWRDVD9
Video Decoder: PWRDVD9
Video Renderer: Automatic

When I try this in on my new machine I get a popup telling me I need the Intervideo DVD XPACK.

I also downloaded the filter tweaker but it did not work for me.
I'll play around with it some more but I did not see a single button to disable all the MS filters.

Anyway, this is very frustrating. I've got so many hours into trying to get this to play.
MC14 is great as a music program, but if it cannot play back a simple DVD file, it's no good to me anymore. Please help!

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'XFrom Out' of filter 'InterVideo Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow raw video filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'
            Connected to pin '~SubPicture Out' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'ffdshow raw video filter'
        CLSID: {0B390488-D80F-4A68-8408-48DC199F0E97}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'In Text'

Filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
        CLSID: {E4206432-01A1-4BEE-B3E1-3702C8EDC574}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin '~Closed Caption Out' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input1' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_AI44, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo

Filter 'InterVideo Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {7E2E0DC1-31FD-11D2-9C21-00104B3801F6}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\intervideo\common\bin\iviaudio.ax
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'XFrom Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
        CLSID: {3AC8EA8C-990A-424A-BD7B-D5B57A9DEB83}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\cyberlink\powerdvd9\videofilter\clvsd.ax
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow raw video filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'SubPicture In'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin '~Closed Caption Out'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'Line 21 Decoder 2'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_AUXLine21Data  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_Line21_GOPPacket, Format type FORMAT_None

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'InterVideo Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture In' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:33:54 am »

Okay...I can't speak to the graph but I see ffdshow raw video filter.  I'll let somebody else speak to that because I also see cyberlink.  I personally don't know why the raw video filter is loading and this could be part of your problem.  I'm not a card carrying member of the j river media fan club because I've had and continue to have issues but I can tell you this is likely on your end and there is a resolution to it.

I'm running an intel atom processor and it runs 1080p video on j river and that's a heafty task.  It's in the filters.  Ffdshow is not good if you have a ligh processor...I can't use it. 

I just loaded a dvd in jriver and I don't have ffdshow raw video filter in my graph.

Go into tools>options>playback>dvd playback settings.  There you will see a list of dvd filters.  I suspect ffdshow is listed if it is we need to get it out.  Ah ha...okay in there do you also see use ffdshow video decoder for post processing?  If you do make sure it's deselected.  When I select mine the raw video filter is then included in my list of filters.

Okay all that and now try.

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 02:11:54 pm »

I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Just so you know, the processor is the new Intel Core i5 750 with 4 GB memory, so processing power should not be a problem.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »

Ya that shouldn't be a problem at all.  Well give it a go and let me know.  The only thing I can think of (if that doesn't work) is that it may be some driver issue then with win7.

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:40 am »

jroyale,

No luck.
Th ffdshow was checked but I unchecked it and still have the same problem.

I still get the  popup telling me I need the Intervideo DVD XPACK.
By the way, I purchased and downloaded that file and it still does not work.

Media Center is great as a music player but sucks as a video player.
Power DVD plays anything I throw at it - no problems.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:30:28 am »

The Codecs can be a pain to setup.  This is most likely a codec problem not an MC problem.  Ripped DVD Playback is certainly running fine under Vista at the moment.

Have you tried the following from the MC Wiki:
Go into FFDShow Video Decoder configuration which can be found in 'All Programs' from the Windows Start Menu and then in the codecs list find MPEG2 and make sure it's set to libmpeg2 or libavcodec (Experiment with both for the best results. Some machines prefer one or the other). Also tick the DVD decoding box. Failure to do these things will cause DVD Decoding to fail.

If you're trying to use FFDShow to decode DVD's then this is definitely required.

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 10:54:19 am »

Mr. ChriZ....he's using cyberlink but doright my post does address this as well.

It's not surprising that didn't change things after you told me the power of your processor.

The odd thing is that it appears it's loading cyberlink fine so I'm not sure what the issue would be particularly if you have cyberlink installed and it's loading.  

I have 2 posts related to cyberlink and 64 bit here but again in your graph it shows up so I don't have a full answer for you and this is just dvd's right?  I'm betting this is a cyberlink win 7 64 bit issue.

What other filters do you have installed on your computer?  Here is a link to help you find that out. http://codecs.freeforums.org/tutorial-generating-a-list-of-all-installed-codecs-filters-t2.html  Make sure you have 32 bit and 64 bit checked.  The one thing you may want to try is installing cccp from here http://www.cccp-project.net/.  It can solve a lot of problems but it sounds like you have ffdshow installed on your system already.  In any event try that and select ffdshow video decoder as your video filter and make sure in the ffdshow codec settings (from the above post) MPEG is set to libmpeg2.  Also, just as a troubleshooting move set everything to automatic.  This should enable the filters automatically installed by win 7 (they ship with filters to play mkv's and dvd's now) and see if that works.

Also, what version of MC are you running?  I was having other issues as well related to selection of filters so I went back to 14.096 and it helped out.  If you don't have access to that version drop me a pm with your e-mail and I can get it to you.

I've linked my other cyberlink related posts below but I can play dvd's fine.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57039.0

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56936.0

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 12:16:23 pm »

jroyale,

No luck.
Th ffdshow was checked but I unchecked it and still have the same problem.

I still get the  popup telling me I need the Intervideo DVD XPACK.
By the way, I purchased and downloaded that file and it still does not work.

Media Center is great as a music player but sucks as a video player.
Power DVD plays anything I throw at it - no problems.

The graph info that you posted shows that a graph was successfully built.  Did it not play?  You should be able to play a DVD leaving every setting in Automatic.  On Windows 7, normally Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder will be used when you do not select a video decoder.  The Microsoft filter works very well.  For audio decoder, you can choose FFDShow Audio decoder, or AC3Filter.  You can not use Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder because it would not decode Dolby AC3 outside of Microsoft applications, unless your audio output is through a digital audio cable to a receiver that is capable of decoding AC3.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 06:40:44 pm »

Thank you all.

When I have some time I'll give all these a try and post back.

By the way, I've already installed the CCCP pack and followed their instructions (removing old versions of ffdshow, etc.).

doright

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:05 am »

OK, after messing around with this for a while I've finally got video but the audio is badly out of sync.

I've switched everything to automatic and made the changes to ffdshow you suggested. 
I've been messing around trying to get the audio to sync with no luck.
I tried using ffdshow as my audio decoder with the same results.

Right now I'm using SPDIF out to my stereo receiver (Anthem D2)
Output mode is WASAPI.

Pages: [1]   Go Up