INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin request: projectM (Milkdrop)  (Read 31029 times)

widman99

• Recent member
Plugin request: projectM (Milkdrop)
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »

I switched from Winamp to MC years ago and have never looked back...  except for the visualizations.  Milkdrop still has the best visualizations out there and now there is an Open Source project based on Milkdrop.  I don't have any programming skills so I don't know if it is possible to implement projectM for MC, but it would be a great feature to add.

http://projectm.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,
pete

LarryASilva

• Recent member
Re: Plugin request: projectM (Milkdrop)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »

I agree ... BIG TIME.  MilkDrop2 and ProjectM have no equals when it comes to VIBRANT...QUICK CHANGING visualizations that seem to go along with the music.  When I need a visualization, I export my playlist to Winamp and use MilkDrop...but this is a pain in the butt ... would much rather use J River Media Center ... have been registered J River user for many years .... but ... JRiver really needs to consider getting onboard and incorporate the new ProjectM (open source derivative of Milk Drop) as the DEFAULT visualizer.   I bet that this visualization has never been seen by many casual software medial player users .... the incorporation of this superb visualizer might very likely draw more customers to JRiver simply because many newbees have never seen such a visualizer.  Because ProjectM is open source, the licensing fees can't be too bad !!

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:37:01 am »

@Larry: any milkdrop presets to recommend? (I mean not the ugly-fractals ones)

Fabricio

• Citizen of the Universe
  • No one has patience with me.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:33:38 am »

Good idea !!!

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:45:55 pm »

Even in my little world I know of 2 people who inquired if MD was supported in JR. I myself miss it, even having G-Force installed. It does seem like a missing feature that I for one would pay extra for as a plugin or such.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »

As always, we need your support to get projectM out to more people. Please ask your favorite media player or distribution to include projectM support!

From their site....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

miserythemexican

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:30 pm »

+1

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:54 pm »

ProjectM = Milkdrop

Yes. Please add ProjectM support to JRiver Media Center. I too have found myself using Winamp just to see Milkdrop. In fact I know a number of people that only use Winamp because it supports Milkdrop. It's that good.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:47:29 am »

+1

blunderman

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »

I too would instantly transfer to MC for improved playback and file/music management,

IF ONLY MILKDROP WAS AVAILABLE!!

blunderman

• Recent member
A Workaround...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »

Your results may vary, but I've been able to use milkdrop with a combo of winamp and MC.

The plan is to use this LINE-IN plug-in for winamp:
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/linein-plugin-v1-80/84040

This plug-in lets winamp run milkdrop from the line-in jack on your soundcard/mobo.

With a stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) patch cord, connect the line-out of your soundcard to the line-in.  Do not forget to adjust the gain so that the input won't clip.  I don't know if this is really a safe practice for your hardware, so don't blame me if something bad happens.

You can create a second zone in MC, so that your primary sound output is not sullied by the I/0 loop you've just created.  Link this secondary zone to the primary zone in MC, and change it's output to use the line-out.  Open winamp, and with the line-in plugin installed, press cntrl-L in the main window to "open url" of:
linein://

Milkdrop now kinda works.  You still don't get text overlay of track info, but it seems to look good on:
win7 64bit on ssd
4gig ram
amd sempron 2.8
1gig ddr3 nvidia w/ hdmi @ 1368 x 760

with:
winamp v 5.622
milkdrop v 2.24
MC v 17

locust

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:12 am »

Would it not be possible for someone to create an emulator plugin that would effictivly simulate Winamp within MC??

That way Mildrop would think MC is Winamp..

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 09:16:39 am »

Here is the interface for creating a JRiver visualization:
http://jriver.com/DevZone/JRVisualization.h
http://jriver.com/DevZone/JRVisualizationData.h

You create a simple class in C++ derived from IJRVisualization and expose it from a Dll.  You can use managed code to implement the class if it helps.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:57 am »

+1
. . . the game is rigged

locust

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 06:11:24 am »

Here is the interface for creating a JRiver visualization:
http://jriver.com/DevZone/JRVisualization.h
http://jriver.com/DevZone/JRVisualizationData.h

You create a simple class in C++ derived from IJRVisualization and expose it from a Dll.  You can use managed code to implement the class if it helps.

Cool I'll give this a try soon, I'm no software dev, so I might not get anywhere but I'll give it a bash anyway...

LarryASilva

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »

Well, it has been just over a year since I first asked about JRiver Media Center support for Milkdrop or open source ProjectM visualizers.  Has anybody heard about any progress or work arounds other than the previously mentioned Winamp soundcard trick?  FYI... Milkdrop now has a very cool visualizer for Android... they have a video demoing it on the Google Play app.  Just to a search for visualizer.  JRiver ... please make Milkdrop and/or ProjectM work with Media Center !!!   The match would make for some very visual advertising for JRiver !!!

Tacun

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 09:43:12 am »

I switched to MC Two years ago from Foobar2000 where I had a milkdrop 2 plugin, and thats really the only thing I miss from it.  I was wondering if any one had done any work on this?

I have some experience in C++ and Alot in Java so I'm going to give this a shot.  If anyone else here has some experience that would be willing to help it would be much appreciated.

Seeing as there are others that want this in MC I will post here with any progress.

locust

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

Wish you luck, can't really help, as I don't really know much about programming, hope you crack it

Magoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 08:54:35 pm »

Any news on this?

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:05 am »

Well, it has been just over a year since I first asked about JRiver Media Center support for Milkdrop or open source ProjectM visualizers.  Has anybody heard about any progress or work arounds other than the previously mentioned Winamp soundcard trick? 

Make that 3 years.... original post was from 2010!
I think we're making headway though.... (not)
 :P

blunderman

• Recent member
Re: A Workaround...
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 08:31:02 pm »

Also I've had success using a microphone as the line-in source.  Bonus feature is that during normal (80db or so) listening levels, you can change presets with a snap of the finger.
Also if you are running gizmo, you won't need the track info on screen anyway.

Your results may vary, but I've been able to use milkdrop with a combo of winamp and MC.

The plan is to use this LINE-IN plug-in for winamp:
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/linein-plugin-v1-80/84040

This plug-in lets winamp run milkdrop from the line-in jack on your soundcard/mobo.

With a stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) patch cord, connect the line-out of your soundcard to the line-in.  Do not forget to adjust the gain so that the input won't clip.  I don't know if this is really a safe practice for your hardware, so don't blame me if something bad happens.

You can create a second zone in MC, so that your primary sound output is not sullied by the I/0 loop you've just created.  Link this secondary zone to the primary zone in MC, and change it's output to use the line-out.  Open winamp, and with the line-in plugin installed, press cntrl-L in the main window to "open url" of:
linein://

Milkdrop now kinda works.  You still don't get text overlay of track info, but it seems to look good on:
win7 64bit on ssd
4gig ram
amd sempron 2.8
1gig ddr3 nvidia w/ hdmi @ 1368 x 760

with:
winamp v 5.622
milkdrop v 2.24
MC v 17

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:32:58 pm »

Progress report?

I imagine a working plugin for MC would also support all the killer stuff from Geissworks. Their smoke and fractals are about as good as it gets ...

Until then, I struggle along with SoundSpectrum Aeon. their latest build is pretty much bulletproof inside MC ... no more crashes.

(I know ... famous last words, right?)

PS ... MilkDrop2 added pixel shading. Something to keep in mind if there's any code changes required to support that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up