INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User account control (Windows 7)  (Read 2544 times)

pauls

• Recent member
User account control (Windows 7)
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:17 am »

I had MC13 running without this issue but after installing the v15 beta it began.  Now I have upgraded to v15 and uninstalled v13 but it still happens.

Whenever I start MC15, the user account control window pops up (i.e. Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?).  So, how make I revert to the old behavior where I was not asked this each time I opened MC13?

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: User account control (Windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

I think you have to run MC15 as an administrator once and then you can use it as a regular user without the UAC problem.

Ross

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

Do you have UAC turned off?

Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control Settings -> Never Notify

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:40 pm »

Media Center 14 and 15 work fine with UAC.  There is no need to disable UAC.

You may need to grant UAC elevation to PackageInstaller.exe when switching from one version to the other.  This is a one time action (per switch) and is perfectly safe.  Just click 'OK' and it shouldn't bother you again unless you switch versions again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:29:34 pm »

Media Center 14 and 15 work fine with UAC.  There is no need to disable UAC.

You may need to grant UAC elevation to PackageInstaller.exe when switching from one version to the other.  This is a one time action (per switch) and is perfectly safe.  Just click 'OK' and it shouldn't bother you again unless you switch versions again.

This is the behavior I am seeing.  Everytime I switch versions I get the UAC prompt, but then I don't get the prompt again until I switch versions.  As long as I stay on the same version - no UAC interaction.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:00 pm »

There is no need to disable UAC.

You're the first person I've ever run across who doesn't think UAC should be disabled. :)

BTW, love the new features in MC15.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »

Disabling UAC is very bad idea. While convenient it allows a huge hole in your security.

Think of it this way. All browsers have unpatched security holes at any point in time. If you visit a site as an administrator and that site exploits that hole to "step out of the browser sandbox" it can do ANYTHING it wants to your computer. IF UAC is turned on, it will prompt when it tries to write to registry locations to make windows load a Trojan on startup for instance. Because of the prompt, you know something is up. With it off, you are now infected with a keylogger Trojan and your bank accounts will be cleaned out in about a weeks time... You won't know till it's too late.

Ask any security expert if they turn off UAC because it is safe. Why not they're experts right? I guarantee you they do not. It is inconvinet to lock up my house as well, but I don't leave it unlocked even though anybody could just kick in the door if they wanted. For the amount of "work" required to click on a button the odd time a prompt appears, it isn't worth the risk.

Now I'll come down off my soap box and go back to playing with my pocket protector... :)

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »

Sorry, I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate about UAC vs. Every Other Effective Realtime Protection Option Out There. :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »

I disabled UAC and a bunch of other annoying features by downgrading to XP. For added security I use third party programs that allow me to have more control than the built-in features in Windows 7.  :)

(I didn't actually downgrade. I just installed 32-bit XP Pro on my newly build quad-core "media computer". I have now the fastest and stablest XP PC I have ever seen. I am still testing W7 on another PC. Vista wasn't for me. I skipped it completely.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pauls

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:23:55 am »

After a couple of reboots the notification has just stopped.  It's odd because I haven't changed anything, and the run as admin is disabled for the MC15 .exe.  Oh well, all good now.

BTW, I'd prefer not to disable UAC totally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up