INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 Portable Install not working.  (Read 1576 times)

rally25rs

• Recent member
MC15 Portable Install not working.
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:44:57 pm »

I have 2 computers, both are Win XP, both previously had MC12 installed.

I purchased MC15, and upgraded it in PC1.
I then did the Portable install onto my player (Sansa View in MSC mode).
I verified that I could run Media Center 15.exe from the portable drive letter on PC1, and it worked fine.

Next I plugged the player into PC2 (which has MC12 installed still).
If I try to run Media Center 15.exe, I get an error message saying it can't load MCTools.dll.
Using SysInternals Process Monitor, it looks like MC15 is reading and loading MC12's MCTools.dll on startup, instead of the one in its local directory.
I then uninstalled MC12 from PC2.
Now when I run Media Center 15.exe from my portable device, I get the error message: "Media Center was not installed correctly for the current user. Please Reinstall Media Center".

Any thoughts as to how to resolve this?

Side-note, I also had a portable install of MC12 on a different portable device, and it did seem to work fine on the same 2 PCs, but I did have MC12 installed on both those machines too.

Thanks for any help!

rally25rs

• Recent member
Re: MC15 Portable Install not working.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:29 am »

Quick update to my issue:

When I installed Media Center to my portable device, I installed it to "R:\.jRiverMediaCenter15" (note the leading period).
At some point, MC created a "R:\jRiverMediaCenter15" folder on the device (no leading period) and put a Temp directory and the portable settings into this folder.

The Media Center 15.exe was in the .jRiverMediaCenter15 folder, and when I run that, I get the "not properly installed" message that I noted in my original post.  On a hunch, I copied all the files in \.jRiverMediaCenter15 into \jRiverMediaCenter15,
and ran the Media Center 15.exe from that folder (the one without the leading period).  Now MC15 beta starts up and runs fine! The only side effect I've seen so far is that it a) lost my settings so I had to reset everything, and b) lost my license, so I have to re-import the license.

So, I'm guessing MC15 has some issue with a period in the directory name or something?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:10 am »

So, I'm guessing MC15 has some issue with a period in the directory name or something?

It must.  We'll take a look.

Thanks for the good detective work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:18:09 am »

Our core filename validation / cleanup function wasn't accepting filenames that began with a dot.  This is wrong, since Windows supports this.

This will be fixed in build 23 and later.

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rally25rs

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »

Glad I could help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up