INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC14 and Touchscreen  (Read 2759 times)

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
MC14 and Touchscreen
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:36 am »

A few days ago i changed from MC12 to MC14. First impression was, that the touchscreen-integraton is not so consistent and deep as in MC12.For example, i'm missing the scrolling functionality in lists without the scrollbar: In MC12 it was possible to scroll downwards and upwards with the move of the finger on the touch. In MC14, you have to use the scrollbar on the right side. This scrollbar is very narrow for touchscreen use and it is totally missing on the news and weather-side. You can't scroll theese sides with a touchscreen at all.
I'm using the same touchscreen since MC8 (yes, it's a really faithful hardware) and the integration became better and better. So i don't really understand the step from 12 to 14. But maybe i miss something in the setup of MC14 because i've learned that the time you have to spend in the setup becomes longer and longer. Maybe there's a checkmark or a bit i have to set and i'm happy again.
I'm using the Obsidian-Touch skin.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC14 and Touchscreen
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:45 pm »

The scrolling should still work by grabbing and "throwing" (a flick).   Try Obsidian.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »

Thanks for your quick answer!
The "throwing" works, that's right. But that is not what i mean. Throwing makes sense, when you want to see the next -lets say- part of one screen. What i mean is really scrolling. To see the next 100 items of a list of songs for example. In MC12 you dip on the touchscreen and move your finger to the lower border of the screen. Then the screen began to scroll - as long as you rest your finger on the screen. When you put away your finger, the scrolling stopped. Very simple but absolutly brilliant for touchscreen-use.

The "throwing" is also useless for the information-wheather and information-news items in Theatreview because when you dip your finger on the screen for "throwing", the dipped entry grows up and "throwing" does not work. That's what i try to describe with the "inconsistent usebility".

Puh, very difficult to explain with my poor english- sorry for that.

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:17 am »

Is it possible to modify the width of the scrollbar in Theatreview (Obsidian-Touch Skin)?
This is the minimum condition to use my touchscreen furthermore in MC14.

Thanks

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:35 am »

Dear JRiver Team,

i spent nearly one day (10 Hours) in upgrading my MC from 12 to 14. And i must recognize, that the usibilty of my Touch-Screen is not as good as before.
I know, that you are very busy at the Moment with MC15, but would you please invest a few minutes in my questions.
Maybe my english is not good enough to understand or you are not interested in Touch-Screen Support any more, or i haven't found the answers in the Wiki or in the forum, or maybe MC15 will bring back the Touch-Screen features again. But please let me know. MC is making music in my living-room every day- since a few years and i just want to know if i can use my Touch or if i have to swap to a Remot-Control or something else.

Thank you

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:53:03 am »

This question have been raised many times before. Why not do like the android scrolling? You flick, and the scroll bar appears (only use arrows to browse and the scroll bar is hidden). After the scroll bar activation you touch the scroll bar and move down and up. The letters appear, telling you where you are. Fast, efficient and easy to read.

A simple option for using TV with touch screen and increasing the width of the scroll bar could work as an easy, but not so elegant, fix.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 05:12:30 am »

MrHaugen, sorry, but what is the meaning of "android scrolling"?
TV with an increased Scrollbar should be enough but the Scrollbar is missing at some pages of the TV and the Scrollbar is too narrow and too close to the border of the screen. I don't understand how to increase the width of the scrollbar. With a midsize Touchscreen (16 or 17 inches) the usibility is not very good. Generally it's hard to control a Touchscreen close at the border. I tried to explain that in my first post.
Sorry if this was posted before, but i didn't find answers exactly to theese questions.

If you want to check the usibiltiy of TV and a Touchscreen it is very easy: Click the left mouse botton and keep it pressed while you are moving the cursor. You can't move the curser without clicking. That's exactly the functionality of a touchscreen. The closest Click-Distance to the border of the Screen is about 5 millimeters  because of the width of the finger. With theese few rules, you can check out the usibilty for a Touchscreen.

gappie

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:36:01 am »

Is it possible to modify the width of the scrollbar in Theatreview (Obsidian-Touch Skin)?
This is the minimum condition to use my touchscreen furthermore in MC14.

Thanks
would it be enough if the scrollbar is 1 cm from the side of the screen? or must the scrollbar be bigger also.

the first would be easy and i can change obsidian touch a bit and send it to you. the second i should check out.

:)
gab

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:59 am »

The first should be enough.
Thanks a lot for your offer, gab  :-)

Of course, a bigger scrollbar would be better. At the Moment the width of the scrollbar is about 0,5 centimeters. 1 cm would be the best. But this may be an information for developments in the future.
It is much more important to add the scrollbar on the pages in TV where it is missing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:03:54 am »

...  the usibilty of my Touch-Screen is not as good as before.
I know, that you are very busy at the Moment with MC15, but would you please invest a few minutes in my questions.
Maybe my english is not good enough to understand or you are not interested in Touch-Screen Support any more, or i haven't found the answers in the Wiki or in the forum, or maybe MC15 will bring back the Touch-Screen features again. But please let me know. MC is making music in my living-room every day- since a few years and i just want to know if i can use my Touch or if i have to swap to a Remot-Control or something else.
Your English is very good.  We are extremely interested in Touch Screen, but we believe it works.  Try the "flick scrolling".  Touch and move immediately, so you are "throwing" the screen.

Use the Obsidian Touch skin for Theater View.

gappie

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 07:07:04 am »

here it is.. when something is missing please say so, i can not really test it.. i thought it was not important for the root or playing now.
http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/ObsidianTouchscreenAlternative.zip
open the zip and copy the folder to the theaterview skins.

i gave the buffer 3% of the screen. its easy to change that. open the main.xml you find in the folder of the skin with notepad.
under the layout for "standard" you will find a new item that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
<!-- Buffer -->
<Item Name="DistanceScroll" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Right" Size="3%"/>
change the size to 2% or something like that.

gab

edit, there was a small thing missing that showed up after a restart.  :-[ i uploaded a new version.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:19:49 am »

We are extremely interested in Touch Screen, but we believe it works.  Try the "flick scrolling".  Touch and move immediately, so you are "throwing" the screen.

Use the Obsidian Touch skin for Theater View.

I understand both of you. It's working as it is today, but it's not very accurate. It's good for skimming through covers, when you're not looking for specific items far down the list. Normal scroll bar scrolling is more accurate and less time consuming in large libraries.

You have the choice of hiding or showing the scroll bar today. That should be sufficient. Only thing you need is to set the scroll bars left border a bit more into the screen. This could be a touch screen option next to the Scroll Bar option today perhaps? Who is using the mouse pointer far to the right side anyway??

Even better is to also add the letters and numbers showing in a snappy OSD, as you scroll. Just like the iPhone and Android phones. The OSD should only be shown when using the scroll bar imo.

*EDIT* This would be a thing to do in MC15 though. Did not notice i was writing this on the MC14 forum :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:36:12 am »

here it is.. when something is missing please say so, i can not really test it.. i thought it was not important for the root or playing now.
http://www.gappie.nl/fotos/ObsidianTouchscreenAlternative.zip
open the zip and copy the folder to the theaterview skins.

i gave the buffer 3% of the screen. its easy to change that. open the main.xml you find in the folder of the skin with notepad.
there you will find a new item that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
<!-- Buffer -->
<Item Name="DistanceScroll" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Right" Size="3%"/>
change the size to 2% or something like that.

gab

Gap,

thanks a lot for that!
The scrollbar is perfect.
The first page is different from the original ObsidianTouch Page. At the new one, i see Pictures of the different folders and at the old one i see a list of the folders. It's only the first page, when you start TV. The other pages look the same.
It's like switching the between the different list-styles, but for the first page it is not possible to switch. Is it possible to change that?

gappie

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 10:39:06 am »

Gap,

thanks a lot for that!
The scrollbar is perfect.
The first page is different from the original ObsidianTouch Page. At the new one, i see Pictures of the different folders and at the old one i see a list of the folders. It's only the first page, when you start TV. The other pages look the same.
It's like switching the between the different list-styles, but for the first page it is not possible to switch. Is it possible to change that?
:)i also noticed that. and just have edited my previous post. should work now when downloading that one

gab

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:14 am »

Gab, i'm really impressed! ;D
Thanks again..

BTW: Now i understand why gab and not gap. Funny, you're living 1,2h from me (ICE).

gappie

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »

Gab, i'm really impressed! ;D
Thanks again..

BTW: Now i understand why gab and not gap. Funny, you're living 1,2h from me (ICE).

im happy it works.

would that be magdeburg? when so.. im playing a bit there tomorrow in the magdeburger song-days, part from this: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=332564977&blogId=528977473  8)

gab

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 02:07:02 am »

would that be magdeburg?
Unfortunatly no, Magdeburg is just in the middle  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up