INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTC HD 2... a way to change video conversion options for larger Res. screens?  (Read 3921 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

i have the htc hd2. and im wondering if there is away for us to change the video conversion options for our files?

the settings i see are no conversion ,wmv, mpeg4, and 3gp

my phone is 480 X 800 WVGA

what are you guys doing for importing you movies to your phones? be great to do it from within jriver.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I also have an HD2 but I must admit I've not tried any movies on it.  I had done this with an older phone I found that titles such as LOTR and Kill Bill lost their impact on such a small screen.  Anyway - have a play with the options in MC or use handbrake to play with LOTS of options...
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

you mention to have a play with jriver options.. if i select conversion and it only shows 4 of them...no conversion ,wmv, mpeg4, and 3gp

then thats all i can play with correct? meaning i'm going to have to use a thrid party app to do my conversions for best quality?

Thanks for clarification.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sorry - I meant try the "pre-defined" file formats offered in MC Vs the "best" custom one you can make from Handbrake and see if you can tell the difference.

That said, it would be good if we could have a config box to tweak the Video Conversion options for both this and for DLNA.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

DarkPenguin

i have the htc hd2. and im wondering if there is away for us to change the video conversion options for our files?

the settings i see are no conversion ,wmv, mpeg4, and 3gp

my phone is 480 X 800 WVGA

what are you guys doing for importing you movies to your phones? be great to do it from within jriver.

Just started looking into this with my HD2 today.  Thanks for the screen resolution.  Anyone have any recommended settings?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'd not worry about the resolution too much unelss you are downsacling HD content as your SD stuff is either 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).  The real one is going to be what formats play smoothly or at al (eg MPEG is a pain on these platforms).  Grab Handbrake, try a few of the predefined options and see what works well.  You may even find that you can not perceive any differences with some of the lesser resolutions anyway.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

OK - I tired a few presets on the HD2.  Source was a typical 1.7GB 45-45min TV episode in Widescreen (Anamorphic) PAL DVD format (720x576/50i) and I tested on the HD2 with Windows Media Player:
1) MC MPEG-4 Setting --> Output was 320x240/30, Filesize was 252MB --> played fine on HD2 but Aspect Ratio was wrong  :-\
2) Handbrake iPhone/iTouch Setting --> Output was 480x272/25, Filesize was 269MB --> played perfectly and looked very very good on the HD2  ;D
3) Handbrake Regular/Normal Setting --> Output was 704x576/25, Filesize was 594MB --> played but no video  :(
4) Handbrake Classic Setting --> Output was 704x576/25, Filesize was 836MB --> played but aspect ratio was wrong and it stuttered :-\

You can go on all day testing and customising bits out but i'd suggest for now:
1) Use Handbake and the iPhone setting - just works, it's quick (uses all cores), the output is small and it looks great.
2) JR needs to look at opening up the Video Transcoding settings so we can config what we want for Handhelds, DLNA etc etc.  The presets have not been updated in ages and no longer work well with with the newer devices.

For those that want to play more you may want to post on the Handbrake forum (eg here is one for the Touch Pro 2 http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15054&p=71801&hilit=HTC#p71801)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

OK - I could not help myself with Glynor talking about MKV - I thought I'd test compatibility.  As expected you need a third party player (like CorePlayer) to play these, and I also tried upping the res to see what would happen:
5) Handbrake iPhone,iTouch Setting (changed file output to MKV, and the "width" field to 720 (which I actually think is height....but anyway) --> Output was 704x400/25, Filesize was 485mB --> aspect ratio was fine and while it looked the best of the lot there was the some tearing and dropped frames :-\
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up