INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Periodic Updates & Multiple Operating Systems  (Read 1733 times)

ecmartinjr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Periodic Updates & Multiple Operating Systems
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:17:21 am »

From time to time I get notice of welcome Media Center updates.  I have more than one computer, with Media Center purchased and installed on each computer.  One computer is running XP, one is running Vista x64, another is running Windows 7 x64.  The Media Center notice and download does not distinguish between the operating systems, all get the same notice of an update.  When one installs the update, unless it happens to be for the system on that particular computer, and then launches the Media Center program the following message appears: "Media Center was installed for a different operating system.  Please reinstall Media Center."  This creates a waste of time and burns through the allowed re-installs.  This is unacceptable and I know of no fix for it.  Great program, bad result.  Ed

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Periodic Updates & Multiple Operating Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:25:27 am »

All versions of Windows use the same Media Center installer.  Media Center is compatible with all versions from W2K onwards, including full Windows 7 compatibility.

The error you're seeing only appears if some virtualization / compatibility mode is used so the installer sees a different operating system than the program.

Disable any compatibility modes and install again.

I would be curious what OS you're seeing the error on, and what this registry value is for that system:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JRiver\Media Core\Installations\Media Center 14\OS Version

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 11:28:57 am »

This creates a waste of time and burns through the allowed re-installs. 

There are no limits on the number of installations.  They don't affect your license.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

I usually download the latest installer to a shared folder on my server and run the installer from that location on each PC (I have XP and Windows 7 PCs). I have never seen the "Media Center was installed for a different operating system..." message.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up