INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disk Writer ??  (Read 994 times)

sekim

Disk Writer ??
« on: June 27, 2002, 04:18:38 pm »

I've been playing with the settings on this and was wondering if it actually burns to disk the exact settings I use in MJ?

Or is it doing something I have not figured out yet?

Seems like the discs' that I've done are about the same in sound quality regardless of the setting.

Any insight?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Disk Writer ??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 05:16:09 pm »

It "plays" to a disk file, which you can then burn to a CD.  What you would have heard you should hear from the disk.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 05:25:15 pm »

Jim,

Could you be a little more specific? Disk file? Where? How? Any special tips I should know about?

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 06:00:21 pm »

Hi MH

When you select Disk Writer in the playback option, there is a button on the side "Settings" that allow you to specify the base directory for the disk writer. When you then playback, you won't hear any sound but a wav file with the same name of your original track will appear in that base directory. That file will have all the dsp, crossfading etc effect that you have set for playback. You can then burn it, re-encode it dependinf on what type of cd you are trying to make

Claudio

sekim

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2002, 06:46:09 pm »

claudio,

Thanks for the info. It did as you said, made a .wav file out of mp3's. I thought there may have been a way to send mp3 files with replay gain, DSP, etc. intact this way. Wouldn't want to re-encode something that is already done. Ended up trying this on a playlist with 57 files. 2.67 GB !!! I don't think anything I try will get that large of a file on a blank cd-rw disk.

Thanks again,

Mike

ADDITIONAL :

Is there any way for MJ to handle this differently in future versions? Instead of writing wav files, just take the files selected and write the information present into a file, or folder. It's like one step foward, two steps back. If files are already encoded, why would you want to re-encoded something that has been done?

Or is there more to this then what meets the eye? Knowing that computers are fickle at best, are there limitations based on hardware, software, programming, etc., etc. ?

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2002, 04:19:39 am »

Hi MH,

Yes, it could have a workflow a bit more automatic... I think it's already in the wish list. Something like an option during burning to apply the DSP effect, and the same option for conversion.

I've never really asked for this, because I use it only once in a while, so even going through a couple of hops it's ok with me.

In specific :
one of the most common use of this, is for create cross faded audio cds , so in that case wav is the final format.

Re-encoding is actually a bigger problem: if you can it's better to avoid it, since a dual lossy compression is a bad idea (i.e. degrades the quality), but it's impossible to avoid it on an lossy format to do what we are talking about.

In that case, either you accept the quality degradation in a second copy of your track, or you keep you collection in a lossless format (ape)

You could also apply the effects during ripping, but I personally think it's not a good idea. If you want to play around with sound modification, better make a bit perfect copy and then work on that using conversion

Claudio

sekim

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2002, 04:42:08 am »

>>>> In specific :
one of the most common use of this, is for create cross faded audio cds , so in that case wav is the final format. <<<<

Exactly. Maybe this is where my problem is. What I would like to do is create crossfaded MP3 cd's. So when I take them with me in the portable, the tracks all blend together as it does from the computer. Some of the tracks from cd's (in native cda format) blend into one another. But, when converted to mp3, the tracks read - stop - play. Bad transition compared to the original. This is with the portable, by the way.

The reason I'd like this to happen with MP3 cd's is for ease of storage. Two cds with MP3 tracks, versus 50 cds of variying artists'. It's apparent why this would be a really cool feature in the next MJ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up