INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library server thumbnails.. possible to save them for good on clients?  (Read 2212 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

is there away to store just the thumbnails on other pc's? so that when they connect to library server the first time it will load all thumbs and save for good? maybe it does this already? but while playing with library server this weekend none of my thumbnails are showing up on other pc's? the loading of library is alot faster but no thumbnails.

thanks for any info

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

You may have to play around (but I did this when migrating from MC14 to MC15 to save building the thumbs):
1) The ThumbNail directory on the LS PC is stored something like "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 15\Thumbnails\"  You will have at least one subdirectory in the format of {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} which identifies each library on that PC and it contains the Thumbnails
2) If you already have run MC on the client PC then just copy the contents of that directory to you the similar folder on your client PC's

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

sounds good will have a look at that. thank you

HTPC4ME

hi jmone

ive done as you suggested and this is what i have in my main pc's thumbnail location. and on my home theater pc. it's not showing and thumbs yet for any files when i choose search for library server. which do you suggest i copy over to the htpc thumbnail location?
thank you.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

My "server" is in the bottom windows and like you there are many different folders in the Thumbnail Directory but only one of them has any data (eg one for me has 200MB and most of the others are only 8mb).  The top window is my "HTPC" (note: in my case it even has the same directory name).  Make sure MC is not running on either PC then just copy the contents of the Normal (v3) folder from the "Server" to the "HTPC".  When you restart MC it should then use these thumbs when using the same library as the server.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

Jmone... your the man ;)

thanks so much... WORKS!!!

and fast.

2 questions if i may.

1. so everytime i add files to main machine i have to goto other pc's and copy over the largest thumbnail folder to those pc's thumbnail location?

2. ive noticed when i goto theaterview and choose a movie to play. that it takes about 30-60 seconds for it to play(and it says opening in playing now). on my giga switch in theater room it's flying(meaning lights are flashing fast)! then once movie starts playing the giga switch stops moving.. its almost like its loading the whole movie before it plays.. is there away when i choose a file to play it will play right away instead of downloading it, or whatever its doing?

Thank YOU:)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thumbnails should already be preserved on the client.  They get downloaded once and then saved.

This shouldn't require any magic or hacking.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

is there some setting i missed maybe Matt? if so please tell me.. cause i'd love for the clients to auto store the thumbnails for me. that way when i add new files it would just save those thumbs on clients, instead of me having to copy 20 some gigs of thumbs over to clients every week. :)

In all honesty the reason ive never used search for library servers is because thumbnails would never load.. now that ive done what Jmone suggested. the second i open theaterview on clients. there all there! its so awesome.... this will lower my work load CONSIDERABLY!!!
Also is the answer to my question 1. i would have to copy that folder over to client pc's everytime i tag or add new files?

Two more Questions i just came up with

3. how can i set clients to auto start with search for library servers?

4. also can i do a search for multiple libraries? meaning if on main machine i have two libraries, Family and adult (stuff kids can't watch r-rated movies) can i choose which library to load? and how? or do i have to goto main machine and load the adult library then search for library servers?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I tested this again, and it's working here.

Connect to a server for the first time.  It downloads thumbnails it needs.

Disconnect.

Come back later and connect.  The thumbnails are all still there.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

ok... is there something you can suggest for me to try please? is there a setting maybe i dont have selected properly?
any ideas on the 30-60 second opening delay once we chose to play a file?

3. how can i set clients to auto start with search for library servers?

4. also can i do a search for multiple libraries? meaning if on main machine i have two libraries, Family and adult (stuff kids can't watch r-rated movies) can i choose which library to load? and how? or do i have to goto main machine and load the adult library then search for library servers?

thanks for your time

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

any ideas on the 30-60 second opening delay once we chose to play a file?

Yup - you need two things to have instant playback from a library server client:
1) Both the client and server must be able to acess the media by the same "path\filename" (eg X:\Media\filename.avi or \\media\filename.avi) and;
2) Check "Tools --> Option --> Library & Folders --> Library Server Client --> Play local file if one that matches the Library Server is found"

Otherwise the Client will download/stream the file from the server.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

grrr. ive yet to fix my mounts on my drives.

im looking into a server. but was hoping i could use this route to get by until then, but the delay is to long.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

No free rides on that one, either:
1) wait for the server to stream to the client OR
2) let the client "see" the files the same way the server does so it can just "play it"
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

kk ty jmone
Pages: [1]   Go Up