INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems writting tags to an NAS drive - frustrating!  (Read 1619 times)

jlentchner

• Recent member
Problems writting tags to an NAS drive - frustrating!
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:32 pm »

I have my music library (FLAC and APE files) on a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive.  When I first start my computer, I need to go in and access the drive manualy (through My Computer) but after that Media Center (and other programs) have no problem recognizing and accessing the drive.

However, Media Center has some kind of trouble updating the tags on the files located on the drive.  It is not consistent, but if I am playing songs (which I suppose updates the tag as to when last played status) and doing anything else (like ripping, or updating tags to put in dates) the program will get VERY far behind.  On the bottom bar it will display "Update Tags (#)", with numbers as high as 100, and the number goes down very slowly...like at least 1 minute per file and sometimes much more.  If I close the program it will continue updating tags in the background, and I have had to leave my computer on overnight to let it finish.  The problem gots quite bad when I tried to rip a number of CD's directly onto the network drive, and not only did the program get hours behind but the tags were not written correctly and I had to go in and manually fix them.  But I have to stress the problem exists not only when ripping.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is it peculiar to the Buffalo drive?  Are there any settings that can help it?
Jesse

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems writting tags to an NAS drive - frustrating!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:20:15 pm »

Perhaps a virus checker is the problem.

jlentchner

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

Nope, not using one.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »

Maybe the drive is running on a USB 1.0 connection.  Try another port.  Don't use a hub.

jlentchner

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

It is a network drive, not connected by USB.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:17:39 am »

I used to use a Linkstation Pro with none of these problems. I still have it, but don't run my library from it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:41 am »

Try updating firmware.

Try locking the highest network bandwidth you can on your PC.  N or g if it's wireless, for example. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up