INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV recording/playback additions for v15?  (Read 2667 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV recording/playback additions for v15?
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:34 am »

I have a few threads in the TV Cards forum but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I will re-post here.  I hope some additions/changes will be possible in v15.  Without these my wife won't use MC for TV recording/playback (well, me too but wife/girlfriend requests seem to get more traction here  :)).

1) Setup of recordings on the server from a library client.  This is critical since the server PC doing the recordings would be operated with a remote control and it will be necessary to walk up to the office (client) PC to schedule recordings.  Also, deletion of recordings from the client will also be necessary (from library and disk).

2) A large graphical "time bar" OSD.  I know the numbers are there but it just isn't the same as a nice graphical bar showing your progress and start and end times.

3) Recording just new (non-repeat) episodes for a subscription.  This will save a lot of unnecessary recordings.

4) Grid-style EPG view.  This would be nice but not critical.

Thanks.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV recording/playback additions for v15?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:43:55 am »

A large graphical "time bar" OSD.  I know the numbers are there but it just isn't the same as a nice graphical bar showing your progress and start and end times.
I wouldn't want this during ordinary playback, but can you post a screenshot of what you think it should look like?

I believe #3 is currently possible.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:38:12 am »

I wouldn't want this during ordinary playback, but can you post a screenshot of what you think it should look like?

It would just be shown when jumping ahead/back, fast-forwarding, or a special key (just like when the time numbers show up in MC now).  Windows Media Center  would be a good model for what it could look like (I can't find a good screenshot at the moment but it is displayed whenever you start video playback).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:01 am »

3) Recording just new (non-repeat) episodes for a subscription.  This will save a lot of unnecessary recordings.

We hope to add this to a coming build.

The option will be named something like 'Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:50:55 am »

I have a few threads in the TV Cards forum but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I will re-post here.  I hope some additions/changes will be possible in v15.  Without these my wife won't use MC for TV recording/playback (well, me too but wife/girlfriend requests seem to get more traction here  :)).

1) Setup of recordings on the server from a library client.  This is critical since the server PC doing the recordings would be operated with a remote control and it will be necessary to walk up to the office (client) PC to schedule recordings.  Also, deletion of recordings from the client will also be necessary (from library and disk).

My Wife would love to switch to full use of MC for all our HTPC duties. The above is a total deal breaker though. I'm sure there are many in the same situation.

Thanks for all the great progress you have made and are continuing to do.

Rod

PS I agree!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:55:56 am »

In build 15.0.26 and later:
NEW: Added television subscription option 'Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past'. (doesn't know about programs from before this change that have been recorded and deleted)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

In build 15.0.26 and later:
NEW: Added television subscription option 'Do not record programs that have been recorded in the past'. (doesn't know about programs from before this change that have been recorded and deleted)

Thanks.  Do you store the "rerun/repeat" property for the given recording in the database (as obtained from the guide data) so that it would be clear what is a rerun and can be manually deleted (or maybe another recording option in the future - no reruns)?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:10 pm »

Thanks.  Do you store the "rerun/repeat" property for the given recording in the database (as obtained from the guide data) so that it would be clear what is a rerun and can be manually deleted (or maybe another recording option in the future - no reruns)?

This new option looks at previous recordings to decide if it should record.  So it records things that are new to you, not new in the absolute sense.

We're considering an option to deal with rebroadcasts, but XMLTV data doesn't always contain this information.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:41:56 am »

Ok, I found some screenshots for some ideas for the graphical "time bar".

Windows Media Center (this shows the fancy thumbnail preview too but shows the time bar):

Tivo:

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:06:39 pm »

The TIVO one is nice. Both are informative and provide a good sense of "where you are". The whole timeline idea is a common approach for apps like this. I think MC's Theater View / Display View could benefit from an OSD like this also.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:48:45 pm »

I like to Tivo time bar too, it would be a very nice enhancement to the video playback OSD.

I also need to be able to schedule recordings from an  MC library server cleint, currently I can set a recording on the client but even if I sync to the server it isn't recorded. I certainly hope this is on the list of LS improvements??

I'd also like to be able to schedule recording subscriptions from within Thetare View.

Richard

notzippy

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »

Ps3 has a nice time bar implementation also - it is the usual time bar then below the bar is a series of still frames every 30 seconds to the left and right of the current position in the video. Navigating to a particular spot in the show is then easy.

nz
Pages: [1]   Go Up