INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to export entire library and import to another instance of MC14  (Read 2034 times)

DadCat

• Recent member

Quasi-newbie question:

How do I export the entire library ("database"?) - including all tags that are stored in the database (ie, tags that aren't embedded in the files), and then import that exported file (.mpl ?) into a library in a different instance of MC14?

I've read posts referring to "exporting/importing an .mpl", but I can't find any doc about how to do that. I selected all 5000+ images in my library, then did File => Export Playlist, and it created an .mpl file. But then what?  And besides,  I'm not sure that's what I need to do anyway.

The product looks very powerful, but it's sorely lacking intermediate-level documentation - something beyond first-time user, but not yet expert.

Thanks,

DadCat (confused)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to export entire library and import to another instance of MC14
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:32:37 pm »

File/Library/Backup Library.  Backups are also made automatically by MC.

DadCat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:55:43 pm »

I guess I should have asked my entire question rather than just "Part 1 of 2"...

My objective is to: 1) export an entire library from one computer to another, and also 2) modify the drive letter/folder structure where the files are stored (at least the top-level folder name).

So I think I need an editable file format (eg, XML) to be able to make those changes... I don't think a .zip backup created by File => Backup Library will work.

I found File => Library => Export to XML but so far I haven't found an equivalent XML import.  That's why I was going down the (probably incorrect) path of exporting a .mpl file. 

BTW: I asked almost this same question in the MC12 forum, but didn't get a helpful answer (and since posting that question, I went ahead and upgraded to MC14).

Thanks,

DadCat

PS: I like having responsive experts on support forums (as opposed to a call center). However, the present Wiki is no substitute for having a real User's Manual.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:45 pm »

Your best course might be to experiment with the backup/restore and other utilities in MC.  Find and Replace, for example.  Select a few files and try the Library Tools.

If you can preserve your existing drive letter and structure initially, you can then use MC to move files to a new drive letter.

Windows has tools to reassign drive letters.  Google for more information.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »

Dadcat,
Data is your responsibility.

Ours is to document and support the features of the program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up