INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 14 won't read info some/most Audio Cds  (Read 1584 times)

M.Yu

• Recent member
MC 14 won't read info some/most Audio Cds
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

MC 14 won't read info some/most of my Audio Cds for ripping. This applies to both burned and purchased ones.  I want to reload my CD library (ripped into FLAC) into MC 14 but it won't read the info on most of my CDs.  On some, it will read only some of the tracks.  Some nothing at all.  Another program, which I am want to ditch, can read them fine.  Can anyone please tell me if  I have my settings wrong or ?  Any tips?  I have used the web/database look-ups but they apply only in very few instances.

What's up?  Edit but no answer?

Thanks!  hope it can work for me ...

M

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 14 won't read info some/most Audio Cds
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »

What info are you talking about? Are you talking about artist, album, title, etc.?

On some, it will read only some of the tracks.  Some nothing at all.

Audio CD: Should not happen, either the album tags are downloaded or there is no match and the whole CD had no tags. No reason that only a few tracks are tagged. At least I've never ran into this problem.

Another program, which I am want to ditch, can read them fine.
Most likely the program you were using stored the CD information inside its own database like MC does.

M.Yu

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »

Each CD I try to rip has something different happen to it. Some work no problem on others, the info is wacky or missing. In some case the info (tags) seem changed even when ripped from a purchased CD.  I have it in secure rip mode.  It also likes to rip automatically even when the function is turned off.  Another thing is I can't seem to be able to rip a disc with OGG audio files on it.  I should be able to, right?

Thanks for the reply...

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:43:48 am »

It also likes to rip automatically even when the function is turned off.
Looks like there are 2 settings that can turn auto ripping on, check to make sure neither is set to auto rip.

Tools > Options > CD & DVD > Auto Rip CD Database Lookup Options > Enable auto-rip mode
Make sure this option is NOT checked

Tools > Options > CD & DVD > AutoPlay > Audio CD: Rip
Make sure that this is not set to Rip.

I have it in secure rip mode.

Secure rip mode is designed to make sure that the data on the CD in correctly copied to your computer. It does this by reading the data on the CD multiple times and comparing them to make sure they are the same. This setting does not help with getting the correct tags.

Another thing is I can't seem to be able to rip a disc with OGG audio files on it.  I should be able to, right?
MC should be able to read/encode OGG files by default. The question I have for you IS how are you trying to rip these OGG files to your computer??

Purchased audio CDs and burned audio CDs should contain CDA files. These are the only ones you need to rip. CDs that contain FLAC, APE, OGG, etc...does not need to be ripped. All that is needed is to copy these file to your computer and import them to MC.

After importing these files MC will read there tags and display them inside MC. If your files are not tagged correctly it will not display the correct tags and you will need to correct them. You can try to automatically download the correct tags by selecting the files then right click > Library Tools > Look up track info from online database. If this fail you will need to tag it manually.

or...

Another way to correct your tags is to use another online database. I use MusicBrainz (I hope one day a plugin is made for MC) and their Picard software. Mp3Tag uses MusicBrainz but also uses other databases.

Each CD I try to rip has something different happen to it. Some work no problem on others, the info is wacky or missing. In some case the info (tags) seem changed even when ripped from a purchased CD.

Purchased audio CDs rarely contain tags (at least this has been my experience). When you insert an audio CD, MC will gather info about the disc. Most likely it's TOC (Table of Contents) and send this info to its online database. If there is a match, it will download the tags and apply it to the CD and apply the tags to any files you rip from this CD. If there are multiple matches, MC will either pick the 1st correct match or ask you to pick from a list(depends on you settings). If there are no matches it will do nothing or a pop-up window will ask you to fill in the info and summit it to the database (depends on your settings). Burn audio CD will most likely return no matches unless its a perfect copy of the original CD.

So why are you getting "wacky or missing" tags??
MC uses it own database called YADB it helps tag your CD and DVD collection. "Missing" tags means that the CD info is not in their database. If you want the CD info in the database you will need to first tag your CD and submit it or wait until someone else does (which could be never). "Wacky" tags means that someone submitted incorrect tags or that multiple matches were found and the wrong tags were downloaded. If the tags are incorrect you can try and correct it and submit it to the database.

If you want to have more control over the tags that is being download try the following setting. In

Tools > Options > CD & DVD > Auto Rip CD Database Lookup Options

[NOT CHECKED] If multiple matches are found, choose the first one
[CHECKED] If no matches are found, show CD submission dialog
[CHECKED] Show failure messages

CDs that you have already inserted while MC was running is already in MCs local database. If you insert these CDs MC will not try and download tag info. It will use what ever it has in the local database. You can manually have MC try and look up the correct info by right clicking the drive inside MC and picking "Update from online database". Or you can delete the CD from the local database yourself. If you want to learn how to do this just ask.

Hopefully this will help you understand a little bit about how MC works and help solve your problem. If it does not please post more detailed info about your problems. Screenshots would help a lot.

M.Yu

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »

I see that I need to update my understanding of the digital music vernacular to be able to navigate and function in this realm.  I will work on it soon and see how it goes.   Thanks for your time.  I appreciate the help very much.

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up