INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions (i.e. drowning in information)  (Read 1063 times)

porthacking

• Recent member
Newbie Questions (i.e. drowning in information)
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »

I am not sure where I should have made this post. I have given info about the network and hardware I'll have, but the main questions are about streaming, JRiver etc.

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I am in the process of building a few new computers and will be purchasing a Linn DS (Sneaky or Majik DSi) in the next few weeks. While I am at it, I figured I should build/buy a NAS and setup a decent network, probably with a Subnet and/or a few VLANS to separate media streaming and data requirements, as well as allowing me to quarantine "Guests". We frequently have people stay with laptops who want to use the net etc. I haven't built computers or administered a proper small network since school (9 years ago), so while I have a decent idea of what I am doing, I am very out of date with much of the technology and terminology. I have been doing some research and whilst I can understand most of it, I haven't been able to put it all together yet, this is where I would LOVE some help.

Hardware (current thinking, open to suggestion)
x2 PCs. These will just be clients. Practially Identical specs and software. All storage will be through a NAS.
NAS (or another PC with many HDDs): Not sure what it will be. But, will have separate a few HDDs, some of the stuff in this list might be combined on single HDDs: Music; Ripped DVDs/Bluray; Downloaded vids; Photos, Documents etc; Backups of the Client computers.
Back up NAS: RAID backup for the NAS.
Networking bits and pieces. All will be wired except for WAP on Subnet for wireless Admin access and DS control, and WAP on internet router for Guest internet access with no NAS/Media server access.

What I want the system to do....
Safely store all media on a NAS/Separate computer acting like a 'NAS' (with backup).
NAS is upstairs TV etc downstairs.
Want to be able to stream music [to Linn DS] downstairs
Want to be able to stream ripped/downloaded vids/photos etc to TV downstairs.
Want to be able to control from either computer upstairs if need be.
Most importantly, want to be able to control while sitting on the lounge (I'll probably be getting an iPhone, and already have a MacBook Pro).

Linn DS will render music.
What should I use to stream movies etc. from the NAS?

Here is the clincher, and it is probably just a product of the fact that I am intensely confused/overwhelmed, I want to be able to control the music and other media from the same program. Is this where JRiver comes in? I don't want to have to use one program for the Linn, and then for instance have to scroll through a PS3 menu to get the videos etc. Can you then get apps to control JRiver (or whatever it is I need) from an iPhone and/or MAC and PC laptops?
I'd also love to be able to tape TV shows on the network. So the AV device would need to control an AV card upstairs? I think Netgear EVAs can do this?

Would all of this be simplified by me sticking a network computer that also operates as a 'NAS' (of sorts) downstairs next to the AV equipment? Then I could skip the Video streaming and just have JRiver visible on the TV as a nice graphical interface for music and videos. I gather I could then also use one of those wireless mini computers to sit on the longue and control JRiver or the computer through the HDTV if I wanted. Could I still also use an iPhone app to control it if wanted?

If I went with the computer downstairs option (or even if I didn't), could all two/three computers access the media files independtly if they wanted? Eg. watch two different movies on two of the computers while listening to music downstairs? Can two computers access the same movie at the same time? How does this work?

Sorry for what feels a bit like a ramble. Hopefully someone can help me get my confused head around this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pages: [1]   Go Up