INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDDB - How to update properties for a complete CD?  (Read 1677 times)

Pietro

CDDB - How to update properties for a complete CD?
« on: June 27, 2002, 06:19:47 am »

I assume this question was asked before, I searched thru the available information without success...

I often get new files of a complete CD from other sources, where the ID tags are not set. Now this is not a big deal, to enter Artist and CD Name. When it gets bad is when I have to put the track number information in, because I have to go to www.cddb.com manually, search for the CD, and then manually put the right track number into properties.

So it would be very nice, if MJ could access CDDB and get all the info for this complete CD. Unfortunately MJ only allow to get CDDB information for ONE SINGLE FILE.

Is there a trick or do I miss something, so that I can get CDDB information for a complete CD with a single click instead of requesting the CDDB information for EVERY FILE?

Thanks
Pietro

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:CDDB - How to update properties for a complete CD?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 06:50:54 am »

You should be able to right-click on the CD in the left-hand tree view and select "update from CDDB" on the pop-up menu.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Pietro

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 07:37:50 am »

Unfortunately not. The question is for CDs that are already available as i.e. mp3 files, not for "real" (hardware) CDs.

- Pietro

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 07:48:31 am »

Hi Pietro,

as far as I know there is no way around this.

KingSparta is writing a plugin using the MJ sdk to support batch cddb lookup of tags, but I'm not sure at what stage the development is and when you can expect first alphas. I've only see a couple of nice looking screenshots (search forum for SDK in the title ). King?

Claudio

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 07:57:36 am »

claudio

I Am Just Playing With The Idea, And I Do This In My Few Hours Off I Get Each Week. I Am Also Looking Into Some Other DB's.

Last Year I Talked To The Guy Who Makes FreeDB And I Need To See If He Has Made Any Changes To Allow For ByFile Lookups.

I Work In A Sweat Shop, My Fingers Are Normaly Numb From All The Sewing I Do.

Update: FreeDB Does Not Support ByFile Lookups

>>No, freedb doesn't support this and will not support this
>>in the near future due to lack of developers.
>>
>>Best regards, Joerg

I Can Still Use CDDB (I Think) But There Is A License Issue On What They Will Allow Or Not Allow. I Am Not Sure I Can Make A Plug-In For Media Jukebox. Besides They Want Money For Using There DataBase.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Chico

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2002, 09:52:55 am »

Pietro,

If I understand correctly, you are getting the albums in MP3 format, right?  It would be difficult to search the web for track #s on MP3 formatted albums that doesn't already have the track# in the ID3 tag.  CDDB is for commercial CD's.  An album compressed to MP3 doesn't fall under that catagory.  Also, a particular song may be on several albums by that artist (or even compilation CDs) so what track # should a song search give you?  Without a direct pointer to that album, it would not know what track # to give the song.  

The best thing to do would be to get your album source to buy MJ and use it to rip CDs.  The track # will be in the tag, then.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2002, 12:21:23 am »

KingSparta,

Out of curiosity what do you mean by "ByFile Lookups"?

I used to eat/drink/breathe RDBMS's for a living (and I don't mean just designing DB's but actually *writing* them) so I am curious as to what the limitation is with FreeDB ... maybe it's something I can help you work around.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2002, 04:52:33 am »

A by file lookup is to take an mp3 that has ID3 tags in it or the file is named with "Artist - SongName"

you can get the CDDB dll to look at the tags, and the file name and look it up on the CDDB database. My program MP3 Tag Grabber (that i took off my web page last month) did this along with tag editing, playing etc... using a batch process without user input.

the problem is CDDB has a very restrictive license. I have a License for it, but i can not sell the program or advertize. if i did i would need to come up with about $10,000 first.

you can also use the cddb dll to write id3v2 tags it will not write id3v1 or id31.1 tags.

one thing i was looking into is taking the A music database and braking it down into a form i can use. then do byfile lookups from the database.

I would like to find a dll \ service that is free like www.FreeDB.org (that is not the same company as www.freeDB.com) that provices a ByFile lookUp as Gracenote CDDB.

This is just something to play with when drinking beer however.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2002, 05:22:42 am »

Since CDDB is within MJ can't you get J River to expose the functionality that you need and they map it to the appropriate CDDB calls?

Then there is no licensing issue on your part.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2002, 08:17:23 am »

Well See..
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up