INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC deleted all video files  (Read 1258 times)

Zlogmein

MC deleted all video files
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:40 am »

After I add folder to library D:\Films, program deleted all video file isntead creates some files with extantions .jmd
What heppens? What restore files?
At start I thouth that files were removed to folder in C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\... but files had large, it's not >:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC deleted all video files
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:05:14 am »

What build of MC14 are you using?

jmd files are the database files for MC.  Did you locate the database files in the same directory as your video files?

Zlogmein

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:44:24 am »

I use Media Center 14.0.159
Yes, I only add folder D:\Films to library over Media Librariers and then click Load.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:10:45 am »

Oops...

Seems like you created a new library database to "D:\Films" with Library Manager.

Library Manager is a tool for handling the library databases. It is not for defining the media file locations. The import features & settings are in Tools > Import... (and also in Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import Folders...)

Matt from JRiver has said this:
"The program requires full control over its library folder, and deletes files in that folder that are obsolete or foreign."

The old files in the root of "D:\Films" are probably now deleted. Any subfolders in there should still be intact.

I hope you have backup files. Otherwise you can only try some file recovery tool. For instance: Recuva. It is free and quite good.

-- Don't do any further changes to your D: drive (don't save, change or delete any files)
-- Download and install Recuva. (Take care that nothing goes to D:. Install it to some other drive.)
-- Read its instructions and run it to find the deleted files.
-- Recover the files to some other drive. (If you don't already have a backup drive this is a good time to purchase an external drive for storing backup copies.)

I hope this helps and you can recover most of your files (some of them may already be overwritten).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up