INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't Play Videos [Solved]  (Read 3185 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Won't Play Videos [Solved]
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:43:05 am »

All our media is stored in the 'Shares' of a WHS machine. We have two client PCS. All have MC 14.0.161.  For some reason when we try to play ripped DVD movies that show up in the 'Videos' folder we always get the message:  "MC encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure the path in your media library points to the right location".

This is the path shown when I hover over the movie cover for Betrayed: D:\videos\dvdmovies\betrayed\video_ts\video_ts.dvd:1

When I try to play the movie from 'Drives & Devices' it works fine. Note the difference in the path: \\Mellserver\videos\..... (the rest is same as above). For some reason they all play fine from here, ie, playing from Drives and Devices.

The odd thing is that 'Audio' and 'Images' play fine and they use the same file convention as for 'Videos'.

We have been playing our movies fine from a different player, but really want to start doing it from MC.

BTW Theater View is wonderful. Beautiful graphic design job!

Sure hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Wont Play Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

Could you try MC15?  We've done some work in this area.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:58:02 am »

Could you try MC15?  We've done some work in this area.

Jim, Thanks for the very prompt response.

I have bought 15 but was holding off upgrading until your new 15.0.33 is out. Having to do it on all 3 machines is a bit of a job, but if it will cure the problem I sure will.

Do you have any idea when .33 will be available?

Thanks again.
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:07:14 am »

Next week, but why not try a couple of machines now?  Just download and install it.  There's no need to uninstall.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:10:07 am »

Are you using Library Server?  If so, you need to add some paths to it for DVD sharing to work.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:14:42 am »

Are you using Library Server?  If so, you need to add some paths to it for DVD sharing to work.

Hi Craig,

Our WHS machine is the Library Server. Any idea what to add and where it goes? And wonder if this will also apply in V15? I guess DVDs are different than Audio and Images in this regard.

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 11:16:18 am »

Next week, but why not try a couple of machines now?  Just download and install it.  There's no need to uninstall.

Thanks Jim, I will try it. Sure looking forward to .33

Rod

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:29:36 am »

Our WHS machine is the Library Server. Any idea what to add and where it goes? And wonder if this will also apply in V15? I guess DVDs are different than Audio and Images in this regard.

Below is what Yaobing said in another thread.  I guess you don't have to add paths to Library Server but you need an option set with mapped network paths (I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure).  I assume it is the same in MC15.

DVD can only be played through local drive (or mapped network drive, with "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" turned on).  Even if the Library Server is configured to allow all files in DVD folders served, the DVD Navigator filter (which is Microsoft's) would not know where to request the files.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

Craig - I tried "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found". Unfortunately it didn't work. But thanks for the efforts.

EDIT HERE: I POSTED THE BELOW ON THE MC 15 FORUM.

Jim - I installed MC 15.0.32 on both the WHS machine and on one client. Now I can't connect to the Server from the Client. Both machines still have MC14 installed but not running. I disabled the 14 Service on WHS and enabled the 15 Service. Under 'Services' confirmed that it has started. Also rebooted the server twice.

On the Client when I do File, Library, Search for Library Servers I get this after a short time: Failed to Find Local Media Server. I have also tried to use the old Server URL 192.168.1.103:81 that used to show when 14 was connected. I get the message: "MC Failed to load the library 'Connected Library' and will attempt to load the previously selected library".

I had been running the sever/client configuration successfully for several months. I could try going back to 14, but would sure like to find out what's keeping 15 from finding the server.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I post this in the 15 section?

Thanks,
Rod

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:49:03 pm »

Rod,

I just tried this in MC15 because I was curious and it works for DVDs if you have the "Play Local File" option checked.  Make sure you import the DVD into the Library Server from the network drive/path even though it is local on your WHS PC.  I'm not in a position to test this in MC14.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

Rod,

I just tried this in MC15 because I was curious and it works for DVDs if you have the "Play Local File" option checked.  Make sure you import the DVD into the Library Server from the network drive/path even though it is local on your WHS PC.  I'm not in a position to test this in MC14.

Thanks Craig - Now that I have 15 going I am trying it there. Same problem. I do have the Play Local File option checked on both the WHS copy of MC and on the Client copy.

On the WHS copy of MC I have imported the whole library. It all shows. I can't play ripped DVD's there though. I don't believe that's a normal function of WHS. I get a Windows message that my system is not correctly configured for DVD playback. Have a hunch that's not related though to my problem of not playing from the Client. After all if I play DVD's from Drives and Devices on the Client all is okay.

Very interesting that yours works fine. And I imagine there are many people playing it.

Later I'm going to post this problem on the 15 Forum.

Thanks again,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wont Play Videos - SOLVED
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »

Got it working. On MC on the Client at Drives and Devices when I had the WHS Video Share showing I had to Tick "Show Files in Subfolders" and then do an import. Really strange because the movies were all showing under 'Videos' - they just wouldn't play. Now they do.

So thanks again for your everyone's efforts on this. I have some more questions about Video playback but I'll post those in the 15 thread.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up