INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24/96 FLAC files only start intermittently  (Read 2739 times)

Jeff Schulman

• Recent member
24/96 FLAC files only start intermittently
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »

Hi everyone, I am new to MC 14.  I am running Windows 7 on a souped up ASUS netbook, but still - a netbook connected to a USB DAC and then connected into my integrated amplifier.  I am using WASAPI and have some 24/96 on my internal hard drive that I downloaded from HDtracks.com.  Periodically, when I switch to play the 24/96 files they won't start playing.  When this happens, the track time counter goes very slowly from 0 to 1 second to 2 seconds (taking perhaps 15 seconds) and there is no sound.  Nothing else is running on the machine (except all the system crud) and Norton anti-virus.    Mp3 files play just fine.  Any ideas why the 24/96 files won't play?

Also, periodically Theatre view in "playing now" blows up, just stops working, and I have to reboot my machine, I can't even force end MC 14.  Anyone else experiencing this.

Many thanks for your help,

Jeff Schulman

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 24/96 FLAC files only start intermittently
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:32:12 am »

Please try MC15.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:42:03 am »

Hi everyone, I am new to MC 14.  I am running Windows 7 on a souped up ASUS netbook, but still - a netbook connected to a USB DAC and then connected into my integrated amplifier.  I am using WASAPI and have some 24/96 on my internal hard drive that I downloaded from HDtracks.com.  Periodically, when I switch to play the 24/96 files they won't start playing.  When this happens, the track time counter goes very slowly from 0 to 1 second to 2 seconds (taking perhaps 15 seconds) and there is no sound.  Nothing else is running on the machine (except all the system crud) and Norton anti-virus.    Mp3 files play just fine.  Any ideas why the 24/96 files won't play?

Seems related to this problem: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56321.0

Playing Flac 24/96 files works fine with my Asus Netbook from a hooked-on USB HD. There are some delay glitches at start but once the album plays, it plays fine and gapless.

Jeff Schulman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »

Jim, thanks for your reply.  Is it your sense that MC 15 would solve the 24/96 problem?  In addition to the music not starting, there are also intermittent skips and stutters with those high transfer rate files.  Or, would MC 15 fix the theatre mode aborts?    Another question, would MC 15 be stable enough for long enough so that a non-techie like me would be comfortable using it at this point in its development?   Many thanks, Jeff

gappie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »

15 is stable for me..  and there has been some additions that could solve the problem in a way that 14 cant, something with flushing something (i looked for a link but could not find one). and do not take me for my word.  8)

but: i think your soundcard does not like the switch, ive seen the same with asio on xp. what you could do is set the output format in dsp studio. set it to 24/48 or 24/96. that would keep the output the same for all files.

mc 15 has not changed yet in how thv works as far as i can see.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »

It's easy to try MC15.  I don't remember all the details, but we did some work that fixed problems with some of the HDTracks files you're using.

MC15 is generally very stable.  Read the thread that announces the build first before downloading.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:33:05 pm »

Yes it appears so. Playing from memory seems also more streamlined in MC15. But still MC first reads in the whole track then before it starts playing and this can take a while, especially when playing over a network.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:38:40 pm »

Maybe you could try it without playing from memory.  Or upgrade the network.  I like powerline networking over wireless.

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »

I like powerline networking over wireless.

Really? That are the worst radio noise generators at the moment. No one complies with the European EMC directives. The mains isn’t a neat balanced line as Cat cable is. Been there done that.

I am using 100Mbit wired at the moment ;D 24/96 large audio files simply take a while. IMHO it is not necessary to wait for the complete file to start playing. Once playing it works a lot better than MC14 but when switching tracks: Same waiting……….

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:27:28 pm »

Cat 5 or 6 should always be better than Powerline.

As you probably know, 100Mbit network will only deliver around half of that, or around 5MB per second.  If you have a mix of network devices, it's also possible that something is not delivering 100Mb.

Gigabit?

Pjotr

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »

Better make MC start playing at once and “download’’ the remainder of the track to memory in the background. That can’t be that difficult?

Gigabit is not of much help in a mixed network, despite the use of Gigabit switches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up