INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extending your network over powerline  (Read 1690 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Extending your network over powerline
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:24 am »

Western Digital is introducing a new $140 set of powerline adaptors.  I've used several other powerline adaptor solutions at home, and I like them.  Just plug one adaptor into a powerline at one end of the house, and another at the other end, and it's as if you've strung an Ethernet cable.

" The WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit includes two HomePlug AV adapters with four Ethernet ports each, boasting data transfer speeds up to 200 megabits per second. And it's HomePlug compatible ... "

Full article at Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/wd-intros-homeplug-compatible-powerline-networking-package/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Extending your network over powerline
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:03:55 pm »

FYI - I've tried a few different brands at two different houses to extended coverage where I can not pull Cat5 and have the following impressions:
1) 200mbs: No way, More like 40mbps (real world) at best:  I find it funny that they advertise these as up to 200mbps yet most only have a 100mbps port
2) Try different combinations of power points.  I found vastly different speeds
3) Try different brands (Netgear was the best for me, two others were sent back as either slow or that they failed after a couple of days)

Overall, I'm pleased with how they work, and I'd lump them into a sort of "reliable wireless" - good for web browsing, streaming music, SD Video, but not quite good enough for stutter free HD stuff.  I actually use mine to hook up a second Wireless Access Point to increase my wireless range.  At the end of the day, nothing beats blue string....but if you can not get it there, then these are a good and portable solution.
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
Re: Extending your network over powerline
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:29:50 am »

You have to be a little bit careful with these, I bought the below adapters for a 1gb powerline network and they just locked my router up. Sent them back in the end.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Powerline-1000Mbps-Streaming-F5D4076uk/dp/B00267Q3SI

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up