INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to get Rating hot keys to work when MC is in the background?  (Read 1793 times)

genEus

I love to rate songs, but most of the time MC is in the background and I have to open it to use the Ctrl+Shift+Number... I'd love to be able to have hot keys that would rate the currently playing song even if the application is minimized. Is that something that is a feature request or are we able to do that in the current version??

Thanks

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

I don't think there's any way MC is going to be able to control Windows global shortcut keys. A Core Command is already provided for setting the rating of the currently playing file: MC15.exe /MCC 10023, n where n = an integer 0 - 5. You could use AutoHotkey to issue these commands in response to shortcut keys. Creating shortcuts for these commands directly in Windows would work equally well, but that wouldn't be as cool as using AHK. ;)

You might also be interested in cncb's Sidebar Gadget (for Vista or Windows 7). That's not of much use unless it can be visible on the desktop, but it does provide the ability to mouse a rating change.

genEus

Excellent suggestions. The problem is that using AHK or MCC commands seemed to wanted to bring the window to focus, defeating my original need to keep it hidden and non-intrusive. I did find the answer to my question, actually. This is exactly why i love MC. This works perfectly and took me 1 minute to set up. You can, in fact use Global Hot Keys with MC and define them to be whatever you want:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

I don't think there's any way MC is going to be able to control Windows global shortcut keys. A Core Command is already provided for setting the rating of the currently playing file: MC15.exe /MCC 10023, n where n = an integer 0 - 5. You could use AutoHotkey to issue these commands in response to shortcut keys. Creating shortcuts for these commands directly in Windows would work equally well, but that wouldn't be as cool as using AHK. ;)

You might also be interested in cncb's Sidebar Gadget (for Vista or Windows 7). That's not of much use unless it can be visible on the desktop, but it does provide the ability to mouse a rating change.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe

The problem is that using AHK or MCC commands seemed to wanted to bring the window to focus...

I can't think of any reason it would do that (and it works for me). But you're right—I forgot about this capability. And it would seem to be the more effective solution—unless you want to do more than just issue simple commands.

genEus

I can't think of any reason it would do that (and it works for me). But you're right—I forgot about this capability. And it would seem to be the more effective solution—unless you want to do more than just issue simple commands.

Oh really? That's interesting. Maybe I should try a little harder. I'm not the type of person to try harder once I find a solution that works (yet I'm a software developer  :-\), but I guess AHK should be fun to play with still. I did, in fact want more than just one simple command. I want my 1 and 2 ratings to automatically skip to the next song - that is, I hit a hotkey, it rates the currently playing song at 1 or 2 stars, and automatically goes to the next one in the list. With the hot keys I defined now it takes two different sets. I go Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+Right

Thanks for all the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up