INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Read only library server  (Read 1224 times)

desertsand

• Recent member
Read only library server
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:09:54 pm »

Is it possible to allow read-only access to the library server?  It used to be possible in previous versions but under library server all I see is allow read and write access.  Otherwise I assume library server is off?  (It isn't detecting via "search for library servers") ...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Read only library server
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »

Not currently.

More powerful access control is on the list of features we would like to add.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

desertsand

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »

Doh, we actually lost a feature with the upgrade.  Any idea when it will come back?  I don't need anything complicated but would like to prevent unintended mods to the library when using a laptop, etc.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:23 am »

What is your advantage to Library server than just sharing the Library? I haven't tried Library server in a while but found it slower than sharing the library and seems like on the older MC it would not play Video-TS.IFO files or something like that. I think it now plays the IFOs.

Anyway, if you are trying to keep it read only what I do is share the library. I always start the instance of MC that I want to have the read/write access to the library first. The rest that access it after that are read only. To share your library just point or add a library for all you MC instances to the same library directory on a shared network folder. You may have to replace all your file locations in the shared library using the search and replace to the network share vs the HD drive letter so they show up as \\Office\Media\Music\...
Pages: [1]   Go Up