INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to get MC on my TV and through my hifi?  (Read 1430 times)

Zeno

I recently purchased MC (I have a query that my email licence notification says I bought MC15, but MC14.0.161 has been installed ... not sure why that would be?) and am SO IMPRESSED with it that I really want to utilise it as my leap into digital hifi.  What would be the main benefits of MC15 over MC14?

As it happens I am also in the market for a new 40" TV ... upgrading from a 10 year old CRT ... so I want to make sure that I can utilise the maximum capabilities of MC.  Here's what I want to achieve:

1. Have my PC use the shiny new TV as an alternative monitor so that I can have MC in all it's glory displayed on a wall making best use of Theatre View
2. Have the audio sent to my (currently) analogue stereo amplifier.

Currently I have a laptop with MC14 which sits on my wired home network in a separate room to my hifi and TV (I'm happy to consider a new PC to sit in my hifi rack and connect directly to the TV and amp if this helps achieve my objective).

Down the track I'd consider adding a digital amplifier or external DAC to improve the sound quality - but I think I'm out of $$$ for that option just now.

I have read about DLNA as a means of getting access to my .WAV files through a new TV (or digital amp), but I understand that I won't be able to actually view MC on my TV - is this right, or is there a way of using DLNA to route picture (Theatre View) to a TV and audio to an amplifier?  Also by using DLNA is MC doing the work or are the .WAV files being processed by the device that's looking for them (which I suppose could be an inferior decoding)? 

Thinking about it I guess I'd need to have my laptop in the same room if I want to control MC or can I do this through a DLNA TV or amp?

Whatever I do I want to try and future proof, where possible for reasonable $$$.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give or anyones experiences in this sort of situation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What's the best way to get MC on my TV and through my hifi?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 06:41:29 am »

I'm glad you're happy so far.  MC14 purchases from about March 22, 2010 received an MC15 license.

To get MC on your TV, you need to connect a PC directly.  Audio can go through your receiver and video direct, if that's what you want.

Many new TV's can connect to a network, and most (maybe all) are DLNA compliant.  You could ask here before buying to see what people know. 

The best simple control is the Media Center Remote.  The ad is above.

Zeno

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »

Thanks Jim

So does that mean all I need to do is download MC15 and use my existing licence?  Is there any extra to pay?  Does the MC15 licence have an expiry?  Will it carry over all my tagging from MC14?

Thanks very much.
Zeno

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:23:15 am »

Just download and install.  Nothing to pay.  No expiration.

In MC14, do a backup.  In MC15, do a restore.  Read carefully. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up