INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is XviD problematic (advice on settings for CCCP)?  (Read 1762 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Is XviD problematic (advice on settings for CCCP)?
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:23:26 am »

Rather than bog down the release thread, I'll ask here.

I thought, in years past, someone had posted here about XviD being an issue.

I have a Windows 7 x64 install with CCCP and I can play back .mkv and .avi but strangely with MC15 I had to manually configure CoreAVC and other filters, whereas last time I installed CCCP, the Default settings worked. This could have been with MC14.

Anyway, I have some basic low-res Xvid and some HD shows which say Xvid (haven't looked at them in Gspot yet), and all Xvid stuff won't play over Library Server. In fact, it completes bogs down MC to the point of no return.

When I open the same files in WMP or in MC15 via mapped drive or local disk, the open instantly.

I tried re-registering filters in CCCP, but the fact that everything works great. except in Library Server has me confused.

thanks!
hifi

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Is XviD problematic (advice on settings for CCCP)?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:43:56 pm »

Is it only a problem when playing from Library Server?  The likely explanation is that a source filter needs to download the entire file from the server before it can start playing.  The new JRiver URL Source filter does not work with AVI files (at least not yet, I do not know if it is possible to make it also work with avi files).  So we have to rely on Microsoft's "File Source (URL)" filter which downloads the entire file before it is able to parse the file.

The best solution would be to turn on the option "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" and map the folder to a drive on the client, using the same drive letter.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

Is it only a problem when playing from Library Server?  The likely explanation is that a source filter needs to download the entire file from the server before it can start playing.  The new JRiver URL Source filter does not work with AVI files (at least not yet, I do not know if it is possible to make it also work with avi files).  So we have to rely on Microsoft's "File Source (URL)" filter which downloads the entire file before it is able to parse the file.

The best solution would be to turn on the option "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" and map the folder to a drive on the client, using the same drive letter.

Great! I forgot about that option but I have seen it. I did have to tweak the .avi filter on the HTPC (the problem with XviD was on my laptop). I manually set .avi to use FFDshow and finally started seeing a high-rez file play back at a reasonable cpu load (not sure what codec was actually involved).

Then I took apart the HTPC until the new case arrived, and noticed the XviD problem on the laptop. For now I will map the drives and enable the "Play local file" option, and looking forward to any developments on the JRiver URL Source filter.

thanks
hifi

HiFiTubes

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »

It would be nice if MC would re-check for a local file location after a timeout.

My mapped drives were offline and I'm just watching the filter unsuccessfully try to build and MC unresponisve.

I went in and opened my drives up manually but MC was not aware of this.

I had to kill MC and reload via Library Server.

Tedious.
Pages: [1]   Go Up