INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: odd behavior with search box when genre selected  (Read 876 times)

Richee

• World Citizen
odd behavior with search box when genre selected
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:20:18 am »

Here is an example:

I have audio genre selected so I am looking at all my music by genre.
I type in Pink in the search box, upper right corner.
A pop up shows:
ARTIST
      Pink Floyd

I select Pink Floyd and now I have the genre Prog Rock showing.
If I select file under prog rock icon I get only Pink Floyd albums.
If I select either Artist or album it shows all Prog Rock albums, not just Pink Floyd.

I have been trying to come up with a reason for search to be set up that way.
With only a handful of genres it isn't very useful unless you maybe have lots of artists that have multi genres and
even then it doesn't make much sense to filter artists only to have to then scroll around to find them.

Has anyone found a practical use for this the way it currently functions?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: odd behavior with search box when genre selected
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:20:20 am »

It seems you're expecting Search to supersede the normal function of a "Categories" view and act as a filter. A categories view consists of categories at the top and details below. At the genre level, you do a search for "Pink Floyd" and it properly displays all categories they are in, with the details below. According to the purpose of the view type, you're done. It's not a good illustration of the logic of the view because the artist is probably only present in one genre. But the same logic applies to any other category. If you had wanted Pink Floyd by album or year, you could have navigated to the album or year categories and then done the search. You would then have multiple category values to choose from, with the details appearing in the lower pane.

So doing any navigation action after completing a search clears the search and resumes the normal operation of the view. You might find a Panes view more to your liking. They can be set for two-way filtering, and searches persist until cleared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up