INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Numbers in Wrong Order  (Read 5524 times)

spikeapostle

Track Numbers in Wrong Order
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:31:00 am »

Most of my mp3s display in the correct order - I have different views set up that group by Album and then sort by Track #, for the vast majority of my albums this works perfectl, but there are odd ones that throw the tracks out of order (one example is a 17 track album that has everything in the correct order apart from tracks 6 and 12 which appear at the bottom of the list). I have tried deleting from the library and reimporting, retagging the Track# (if I make track 6 - which appears as the penultimate track - track 21 then it moves it to the bottom of the list, but if I make it any track between 1 and 17 it keeps it as the penultimate track). The filename matches all my other filenames in structure (which is created through MC). I am completely baffled. I'm using MC 14.0.165, but this has been happening for previous versions as well. I've got 9,076 albums all tagged perfectly (at least consistently) and this is happening on probably about 200 of them. The major annoyance is because the tracks are out of sequence they show up on my 'incomplete albums' view (an external hard disc failure caused me to lose some tracks and I want to restore them form my backup files, by running a check for incomplete albums, but that view is corrupted by these odd track anomolies). Anyone got any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Track Numbers in Wrong Order
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:05:40 am »

Are they in the same directory?

You can select them all, right click, and use Library Tools/Fill track numbers from list order.

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC14.  It's in the FAQ, and on the Wiki (Old Versions).

spikeapostle

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:56:45 am »

All the files are in the same directory - the folder structure is M:\Intial Lettter (Folder)\Artist (Folder)\Album (Folder)\track# Name

Filling the track numbers from list order gives them new track numbers, but because of the position the tracks are in (ie 6 and 12 being at the bottom of a list of 17 tracks) it gives them the wrong numbers all the numbers are correct (track 6 is showing as track# 6 but is being displayed 16th on the list track 12 is showing as track# 12 but showing 17th on the list).

I've checked for updates and I am using the latest version

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:15 am »

Filling the track numbers from list order gives them new track numbers, but because of the position the tracks are in (ie 6 and 12 being at the bottom of a list of 17 tracks) it gives them the wrong numbers all the numbers are correct (track 6 is showing as track# 6 but is being displayed 16th on the list track 12 is ...
Can you sort by track number first, then apply the change?  Click on the line above the first track in the track number column.

spikeapostle

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:05:15 pm »

Has no effect apart from changing the order from descending to ascending with the opposite outcome to before - now track 12 is top of the list, track 6 is second and the rest go from 17 downwards (missing tracks 12 and 6). When I sort by name clicking on the Name column header I get a true alphabetical sort (including tracks 6 and 12), but when I click on the Track# column I'm back to square one.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:45:49 pm »

I wonder if you are experiencing this issue I reported:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=56606.msg384261#msg384261
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

spikeapostle

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:00:38 pm »

;D Well done, MrC - although the symptoms were different in some respects, when I looked at the Disc# Tag it said (Varies) although I never use this tag myself - clearly it was treating this as two separate albums due to the Disc# field. Once I'd deleted this the sort order worked perfectly. I'm now deleting all the Disc# tags. Thanks for your input, you've saved me a heap of work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up