INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Recording as Windows Service or Separate Process  (Read 2771 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV Recording as Windows Service or Separate Process
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:55 am »

I hope you will consider this as any problems in the main executable (lockups, crashes, etc.) will bring the recording "engine" down.  For example, in testing this out I had some kind of lockup coming out of the screen saver into Theater View and thus had to manually kill the executable which would have ruined any recordings that were taking place.  Ideally this would be a service so that the recordings would take place even if the computer has to restart unexpectedly (a power failure, for example).  Thanks.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: TV Recording as Windows Service or Separate Process
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:26:36 am »

If you're getting lockups or crashes, please post details and/or a log.  We do our best to fix any crash we can reproduce.

In my opinion, the technical solution to crashes is not to fork across multiple processes, but to fix the crashes.  In cases where crashes are out of our control (bad Directshow filters for example), we move processing to its own process, normally JRWorker.exe.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:16 pm »

In my opinion, the technical solution to crashes is not to fork across multiple processes, but to fix the crashes.

What about possibly random or rare crashes due to video card drivers, etc. that may be very difficult to track down?  In my opinion it would be best to not even have the possibility of any issues in the main program affect the scheduled recording tasks that should not be interrupted/missed for any reason.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:28:52 am »

I hope you will reconsider this.  I just had a problem where in Theater View it could not play a file and gave me a warning message with empty button text (no "Ok" text, just empty).  MC would not respond so I had to kill the process.  This happened two times in a row until I played around in Standard View for a while and now it shows the warning properly.

I know ideally all crashes/lockups should be fixed but these unexpected problems are exactly what a service or separate process would guard against and avoid messing up tv recordings.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 07:56:59 am »

I know it's been a little while  :), but have you given any more consideration to this?  I still get random (rare) crashes when running as Media Server.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:50:13 am »

I too would love to see this being implemented...
One major advantage I see is the ability to connect as a client on another machine while the TV engine is still recording locally.
The implemented "workaround" for this doesn't work for me..
Pages: [1]   Go Up