INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple libraries?  (Read 1527 times)

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Multiple libraries?
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Hi,
I have been using MC 9.1 for years, and have been really happy with it. I have considered upgrading to a newer version, but it seems to offer way too many options for my needs. I only use the program for music files. I have been looking for FLAC support, and couldn't seem to find it for MC 9.1. I then found I might as well give MJ 12 a try. Thanks a lot for offering this great program for free!

Now, old habits die hard, and I wonder if there is a way to maintain separate libraries, and easily switching between them? I'm used to this feature in MC 9.1. I would like to have one default library for daily use (mostly lossless files), and one library dedicated to mp3 for my portable player. The same songs in both libraries, only in different formats. I find this makes it easy to keep my portable player synchronised. I'd rather not have two versions of every track showing up in my library during daily use.

If there is another clever way of doing this, please enlighten me.  :)

Thanks for your input!

Von

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Multiple libraries?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:04:16 am »

MJ supports multiple libraries. Check the options in File > Library Manager.

MC offers many additional features that are very useful also with audio-only libraries. I'm not going to try to list them here (check the MC boards and JRiver Wiki for more info), but when you have some spare time you may want to install the MC15 trial and check it out. Since you have an MC9 (or MJ8) license you are entitled to the upgrade price.

You don't need to be worried about that MC's user interface may show features that you will never use. Its interface is highly customizable and you can actually make it more streamlined than MJ's interface. Here is an example: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43993.msg300992#msg300992
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:46:08 am »

Thanks!

Silly me, I see the library options now. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I might give MC 15 a try. Somehow I was under the impression that my version of MC was too old to give me an upgrade discount, but this is obviously not the case. Just a couple of questions regarding ripping features:

1. Is there any difference (however small) in the secure ripping features of MC vs MJ?

2. Is there a particular reason why read offset correction like EAC offers is not possible with MC and MJ? Is it hard to implement, patented technology or something else, or do you simply not consider it important?

I have mostly used EAC and PlexTools Pro for ripping, and MC for everything after the ripping process. Using only MC would give me a much better workflow, but I hesitate because of the lack of offset correction. Although I know that this is really just a theoretical issue, with little or no importance in everyday use, I kind of like to get the offset right... It is my impressions that a lot of users feel the same way, so you might persuade some more buyers here. :)

Von

Von

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:42 am »

Never mind. I've already upgraded to MC 15 and will post my question about offset in that forum instead.

Edit: That thread is here in case you have any input: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57693.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up