INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC15 wont recognize Some AIFF Files  (Read 2017 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC15 wont recognize Some AIFF Files
« on: May 23, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

The Canadian singer/songwriter Jane Siberry has made a bunch of her music available as free download as MP3s or AIFFs. I have downloaded several albums and used MC to convert from AIFF to FLAC. But MC wont recognize any of the tracks in 3 of her albums. They show in Windows Explorer, but not in MC Drives & Devices.

I installed iTunes to see if it would see them and it did and plays them fine. Info from iTunes on a typical track is: Kind - AIFF Audio File, Size - 36.3 MB, Bit Rate - 1411 kbps, Sample Rate - 44.100 Khz, Channels - Stereo, Sample Size - 16 bit.

The downloads are zip files. I extracted them twice and same problem both times.

Any ideas would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod

bob

• Administrator
Re: MC15 wont recognize Some AIFF Files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:17 am »

Can you email me one track that doesn't work?
bob at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

The files are quite big. Email might not work.

I donwloaded some of those albums and noticed similar problems. I uploaded two sample files to SkyDrive: Link (37.5 MB).

The smaller file in the rar package plays, but the embedded picture doesn't show up in MC. The bigger file doesn't work at all.

Both files are freely available in album packages at http://www.janesiberry.com/janesiberry/music.html, but the site may be occasionally congested. The smaller file is from the "When I Was A Boy" album and the bigger file is from the "The Speckless Sky" album.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »

Bob - As Alex noted the files are too large to email and I said that in a PM to you.

Alex - Thanks very much for uploading them. Hopefully this will give Bob something to work on.

As I noted before they do play in Itunes.

Thanks so much for trying to help with this problem.

Rod

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 02:44:50 pm »

Regarding Jane Siberry, I have noticed a quite amazing coincidence.

I think I have heard some of her songs in the nineties, but I had almost forgotten her and didn't have any of her albums in my music library. After downloading the albums and listening to them I got interested and searched for more info about her career. I read her web pages, visited her Facebook site and the Wikipedia page.

The amazing part comes here: I found out that she is going to perform in my very neighborhood in Helsinki tomorrow! The concert is listed here: http://www.janesiberry.com/janesiberry/tour.html. Her international tour consists of minimalistic concerts. Many of them are for a very small audience and are held in private places. The tomorrow's concert is for 60 people. I contacted the given email address, but I have not got an answer yet. I hope I am not too late and I can still get a ticket. It would be very interesting to see her. This kind of coincidences are rare. The exact venue isn't published, but this neighborhood is not very large. It must be within a mile from my home.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

That's amazing!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:58:05 pm »

Alex,

Incredible coincidence! Sure do hope you can get a ticket. If not maybe you'll have to 'crash' the party.

Good luck,
Rod

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:13:18 am »

The files are quite big. Email might not work.

I donwloaded some of those albums and noticed similar problems. I uploaded two sample files to SkyDrive: Link (37.5 MB).

The smaller file in the rar package plays, but the embedded picture doesn't show up in MC. The bigger file doesn't work at all.

Both files are freely available in album packages at http://www.janesiberry.com/janesiberry/music.html, but the site may be occasionally congested. The smaller file is from the "When I Was A Boy" album and the bigger file is from the "The Speckless Sky" album.

The smaller file plays fine on my system (bells.aiff). The larger one doesn't. The difference is that the larger one appears to be compressed which we don't currently support. The extension probably should be aifc but it appears to be legal to leave it at aiff as well. There are at least 13 different possibilities for aiff wave compression. WMP on my XP box won't play the compressed file either. Perhaps you could use iTunes to uncompress them?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:13 am »

The smaller file plays fine on my system (bells.aiff).

Yes, the smaller file plays fine. I included it because MC couldn't show the embedded cover art picture. It appears to be in the png format. I guess png is not supported.

The larger one doesn't. The difference is that the larger one appears to be compressed which we don't currently support. The extension probably should be aifc but it appears to be legal to leave it at aiff as well. There are at least 13 different possibilities for aiff wave compression. WMP on my XP box won't play the compressed file either. Perhaps you could use iTunes to uncompress them?

"AIFC > iTunes > Wav > MC > one of the supported lossless formats" should work. Also dBpoweramp can do the conversion.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 10:47:16 am »

"AIFC > iTunes > Wav > MC > one of the supported lossless formats" should work. Also dBpoweramp can do the conversion.

Alex & Bob,

Thanks very much - the Itunes conversion to WAV worked with the few samples I tried, so should work for all. I haven't yet converted to FLAC inside MC, but can't imagine why that shouldn't be okay.

Did you manage to get tickets for the concert today?

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up