INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Aussie success using MC for Free TV and Austar?  (Read 1992 times)

Marra

• World Citizen
Any Aussie success using MC for Free TV and Austar?
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »

Are there limitations using this program for normal TV in Australia?  Scan finds free to air channels but crashes when selecting channel.  Windows Media Center - no problems.
Do I need to uninstall Windows Media Center ?

Also have Austar connected via Svideo.

What configurations do I need to set prior to scanning?

Media Center 15.0.32  Windows 7  Hauppauge HVR-2200 Dual Hybrid Digital tuner X 2

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any Aussie success using MC for Free TV and Austar?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:05:56 pm »

Free to air DTV works fine with MC here in Oz, athough I seem to be having issues at the moment, but I think it's only me as others seem to be OK.

I'd upgrade to a later version of MC, as .32 is pretty old now.

Certainly shouldn't be crashing starting playback. 

For a start turn OFF timeshifting, if it stops crashing then I'd suggest you install MC again but run the install as Administrator (right-click MCxxxx_install.exe, run as Administrator) as I had an issue with TS crashing playback when I ran the install as a user not admin.

If it still crashes, manually select the filters (we all seem to use Ac3Filter and either ffdshow or the MS DTV one) and try again.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:42:46 pm »

Richard,

Looking at your posts I thought you might reply.
Your advice worked but what about an EPG for free to air.
And do I dare to ask about Austar (or Foxtel I guess they operate the same). I have had some success using WMC but no EPG.

Thanks for your help.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:43:27 am »

Richard,

Looking at your posts I thought you might reply.
Your advice worked but what about an EPG for free to air.
And do I dare to ask about Austar (or Foxtel I guess they operate the same). I have had some success using WMC but no EPG.

You thought right :)  

The MC installer really needs to run as admimistrator automatically, I've reported this issue so it's out of our hands, we just have to keep helping peope when they find this issue which I'm sure is frustrating for new users and may even turn them off MC which would be a shame.

For the EPG I use this script, I have contributed the Sydney config files there (although they are for V9.2 I think) http://forums.dvbowners.com/index.php?s=5c0775734540c0bccd5d921637a3631f&showtopic=6598

Thee are also free pre-built epg guides listed in the dvbowners forum if you want less control over the sources you use.

Where are you located?

Um Foxtel.... very little chance I'd say and linking foxtel into MC, but I don't have it so can't really confirm what you can/can't do with it, or are you just wanting to load the EPG?

Richard

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 05:58:30 am »

Marra,

IceTV offer a subscription EPG and provide a command line program that MC runs.

As for Austar, according to http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/pay-tv-configuration-foxtel-optus-austar/41133-tutorial-setting-up-w7mc-foxte-satellite-cable-tv.html, it's actually not the same as Foxtel as they use a different encryption, so nigh on impossible to get it working unfortunately  :(

EDIT: Just found this http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-xp-media-center-os/38697-record-austar-media-centre-possible.html which may be of some use. If you have an analog input on your TV card - SVideo / RCA etc, try plugging the analog output from your Austar box into it. MC will create the input as a 'Channel'. You'll still need to change channel using the Austar box (as opposed to the PC) but may be a workaround for you...
Pages: [1]   Go Up