INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing a large number of FLAC files  (Read 1321 times)

Jeff Schulman

• Recent member
Importing a large number of FLAC files
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:46:39 pm »

Hi everyone.  I have had about 400 CDs ripped for me by a company that specializes in doing this.  The ripped FLAC files were returned to me on an external hard drive which I now want to import into MC 15.  The structure of the files on the hard drive is:  Schulman FLAC is the highest level within the file structure, then below that is a folder named FLAC, then a folder for each artist by name, then below that in separate folders is the actual name of the CD, and below that are the music files themselves and a file with the cover art.  So, for example, it looks like this:  Schulman FLAC > FLAC > Patricia Barber > Cole Porter Mix > Easy to Love (and all the other music tracks as well as separate FLAC files) and then the last file in the Cole Porter folder is named folder and has the cover art inside of it.

Should I be able to import these ripped CDs using the Import command in MC 15?  Will the command recognize all of the layered folders finally finding the FLAC music files and the cover art for each ripped CD?

Many thanks, Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing a large number of FLAC files
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:42 pm »

You can just import them and it will work.  You can move them later with MC's Library Tools.  Rename, Move, Copy is the function.  After import, select a few files, right click and try it.  They will be moved if you check the directory option and insert some rules.

But for now, just import. 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Importing a large number of FLAC files
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:20:54 am »

As Jim said, it should work fine.

If the cover art file is stored in same folder as the FLAC files and its name is folder.jpg MC can find it automatically. Select the "In the same folder as file (as Folder.jpg)" setting in Options > File Location > Cover Art...

The base path "Schulman FLAC\FLAC\" seems unnecessarily long and doesn't provide any useful information. I'd change it to a short single level path like "Music\".

I always prefer the shortest possible paths. In databases the stored amount of filename data always grows when the paths are longer, but I doubt the path lengths can cause any practical effect in this case or maybe in any case when we are speaking about an MC database.

Finally, you may already have done this, but if you have not, create at least one backup archive of your new files to another hard drive. Two backup archives on two separate drives would be even better. At this stage you can simply copy everything, but in the future you may want to use a dedicated program for syncing the changed and new files. For instance, Karen's Replicator is a nice freeware program that can handle the task easily.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up