INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pico-ITX  (Read 2189 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Pico-ITX
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:12:36 am »

Is anyone using something like this?
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/a1100

In the future I'd like something like this as a media server.
I'm interested in very low power consumption.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Pico-ITX
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:52:29 pm »

I've looked at these size systems several times and they look intriguing.  I have always been worried they would be underpowered, though.  If it doesn't play flawless 1080p with high quality audio simultaneously, it probably isn't worth the effort.  The other reason I have avoided these small systems is because I generally pair nice, near HTPC systems with other audio equipment so such a small box is really out of place next to full size other equipment.  In a secondary area (kitchen, bathroom) I think they would be an incredibly useful choice.  It would need to play HD video in case the need arose.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:45:21 am »

I wouldn't intend to use it as a client machine, just an MC server, so I think large amounts of grunt shouldn't be needed.  :)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

for a 'server', wouldn't you just need something that speaks dlna or even just serves up shared disk for MC clients to grab at?

It might be an interesting exercise to try and come up with a bare-minimum kind of device that would serve as a central repository.  Is running a JR library server an absolute requirement or is there another way?  If there is another way, does it make any sense?

Pico-ITX boxen are cute, small, quiet, cool, etc.  But they cost a lot of money for what you actually get.  Is there another way?

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:52:31 pm »

for a 'server', wouldn't you just need something that speaks dlna or even just serves up shared disk for MC clients to grab at?

It might be an interesting exercise to try and come up with a bare-minimum kind of device that would serve as a central repository.  Is running a JR library server an absolute requirement or is there another way?  If there is another way, does it make any sense?

Pico-ITX boxen are cute, small, quiet, cool, etc.  But they cost a lot of money for what you actually get.  Is there another way?

Good questions.  :)

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:04:45 pm »

Good point, too.  The value is that of ultra portables--or where it used to be before net books took over at stunning price points

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36:35 am »

I've looked at these size systems several times and they look intriguing.  I have always been worried they would be underpowered, though.  If it doesn't play flawless 1080p with high quality audio simultaneously, it probably isn't worth the effort.  The other reason I have avoided these small systems is because I generally pair nice, near HTPC systems with other audio equipment so such a small box is really out of place next to full size other equipment.  In a secondary area (kitchen, bathroom) I think they would be an incredibly useful choice.  It would need to play HD video in case the need arose.

FWIW I've just built a micro-ITX system for the living room using the Asus AT3IONT-I board (Atm 330, nVidia Ion GPU), 4gb DDR3, Hauppauge 2200 HVR TV Card, Slim DVD drive using Win7 all in an Antec ISK300-65 case and it's great. 1080p has been reviewed to work just fine (though I don't have BD nor any .mkv files so haven't tested it myself) and with Flash 10.1 now supporting GPU acceleration even the likes of Hulu (which has been a problem in the past) has been reviewed to work without problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up