INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smartlist to show albums that have more than x number of tracks  (Read 1707 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I can't figure this one out.

How can I create a smartlist that displays only those albums that have more than 5 tracks?

I don't want to use complete/incomplete albums, because those views are too limiting (ie one album missing just one track is 'incomplete', and I want this smartlist to catch those albums.

I don't know how to say "greater than 5 tracks" in a smartlist (I fiddled with using limit, but couldn't figure that out either for this purpose).  Any help would be appreciated.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: smartlist to show albums that have more than x number of tracks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:11:01 am »

[Track #]=>5 ~a

Effectively a cheat - if album has track # > 5 then it must have more than 5 tracks so display the whole album (~a)

??

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:15:50 am »

Thanks mark_h.

That cheat would work as long as track 5 isn't the one missing!
My initial reaction was to do an "or" so >5 or >6 or >7 etc to cover a few of the possible missing tracks (what are the odds of missing track 5, 6 AND 7... but not sure I can do an or with a "greater than". I'll try it out.

EDIT: I don't have to do the "or" because the greater than would take care of it. Don't know what I was thinking.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:44 am »

lise you can also set up a detailed view (now called categories) grouped by album and sort by nr of tracks...
MT5FR

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:25:07 am »

Lasse_Lus, how do you sort by nr of tracks? I know you can sort by track # but that's not the same thing.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:13 am »

oops, i meant you sort by Track # (it's the same)

but you first have to create the view, it's not possible with smartlists
add album as categorie show as details

something like this

MT5FR

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:31 am »

Ok. Yeah, I looked at that, and it's not going to do the trick for me.

This is something that I want to use with a variety of my album views. I want  to display only those albums that are complete, or, of the incomplete ones, only those that have a decent number of tracks on them.

For example, in one view, I want to display all full albums (including those with at least 5 tracks) that contain at least 1 track that is rated 5.  There are a bunch more views like this that I use, but all those albums missing just one track fall the wayside because they are not 'complete'. Hence my request.

mark_h's cheat will not work either because it returns albums that have only 1 or 2 or three tracks, as long as one of those tracks is 5 or is greater than 5 for example.  (Album: Sock Ray Blue, I only have 3 tracks on this album: track 2, 3 & 6 but it will display because track 6 is greater than 5, and I have it set to show the full album--which I need to make this work).

So, I really need some way to count the number of tracks per album and return a list of those with more than 5.  Maybe the counting expression? (oh goodness, that will be way beyond my capabilities to figure out...)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:52 am »

What about using duplicates?
If I can say: find duplicates of album name, and if there are more than 5 hits, then display the full album? Of course, the "more than 5 hits" is where I run into trouble...

gappie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:00:15 pm »

What about using duplicates?
If I can say: find duplicates of album name, and if there are more than 5 hits, then display the full album? Of course, the "more than 5 hits" is where I run into trouble...
that is actually the solution, but not using the duplicate function. and one step more, make a smartlist that shows all albums, but only the first 5 tracks.
use -1,5,[album],[album artist (auto)] in the limit advanced.
now you can make views sayin playlist is not this smartlist and add an expand to full album?

:)
gab

edit: i thought i make the smartlist myself. seems like a handy thing for some views. i called the smartlist, IncompleteSmallAlbums. The code:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Complete Album]=0 ~limit=-1,5,[album],[album artist (auto)]and in the views you can use: playlist is not IncompleteSmallAlbums and expand to full album.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »

Thanks gappie. That does the trick. Excellent. Too bad it's fixed, though. I've run out of reasons to procrastinate and must now calculate the angles on risers to build some stairs.  Darn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up