INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Pauses With Videos After Changing Audio Setting  (Read 1138 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Bad Pauses With Videos After Changing Audio Setting
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:35:42 pm »

In my thread Weak Dialog on Some Movies, May 16, 2010 Jim H solved the problem of the weak Dialog, but unfortunately the fix causes my video to be very jerky in V15.0.44.

Setting the output format in Audio DSP to down-mix to 2 channels gives good audio - the dialog is now at proper volume. Besides setting the down-mix, I had to set in Video to 'Use the same Audio Device as in Audio'. For some reason this setting causes the video to be jerky.

I have changed back the 'Same Audio Device..' to it's original setting of EMU-0404USB (My DAC) and the video is fine, but of course dialog is weak. Have gone back and forth a few times and it always shifts the same way.

Does this belong under 'Weird & Wonderful'?

Hopefully a way can be found to get good video with good audio.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Bad Pauses With Videos After Changing Audio Setting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:42:09 pm »

Does anybody have an idea what could be going on here? Why in the world would downmixing the audio cause the video to be real jerky?

I can't use the system for videos as it stands, so this is a real big one for us!

Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,
Rod

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »

I've stayed away from getting MC to downmix/DSP process video audio as I want my audio and video output treated differently.

What audio codec are you using for video?

I mainly use ffdshow http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ for all my audio output with videos.  

Try ffdshow and downmix it in there to see if it makes any difference.

I assume you're downmixing as you only have stereo speakers?

Richard

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »

I've stayed away from getting MC to downmix/DSP process video audio as I want my audio and video output treated differently.

What audio codec are you using for video?

I mainly use ffdshow http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/ for all my audio output with videos.  

Try ffdshow and downmix it in there to see if it makes any difference.

I assume you're downmixing as you only have stereo speakers?

Richard

Richard,

Thanks very much for the response. I just now had a chance to work on the problem and installing ffdshow solved it. I'm doing the downmixing there and in MC setting the audio playback under Video to use my DAC instead of setting it for 'Same as in Audio'.

So now all is good - smooth video and I can hear the dialog. Just can't wait for my MC remote to arrive so I can really enjoy Theater View.

I still am very confused why doing the downmixing in MC causes the video to be jerky. If JRiver is interested in working on this with me for their own edification I would be happy to stop using ffdshow to try to help them.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up