INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to play m2ts video file  (Read 2262 times)

dpetr

• Recent member
Unable to play m2ts video file
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »

Using the latest version of MC15.  Receive the following error when attempting to play this m2ts file, which plays fine using Windows 7 Media Player:

Error details:
DirectShow: Pins cannot connect due to not supporting the same transport.  Code=0x80040266

I have no idea what that means.  Please advise.  Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Unable to play m2ts video file
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 05:24:06 pm »

You need DirectShow filters to play the file.

Assuming the file contains H264 video, you will need Haali Media Splitter to parse the file, and FFDShow video decoder (or another decoder capable of decoding H264 video) to decode.

You can install CCCP.  You can find information and link at DirectShow Filter Guide.  Scroll down to the middle of the page to find CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dpetr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:09:59 pm »

Yes.  That's one possible solution.  Thanks for the tip.  After fiddling around in the program (MC15), I discovered a buried option in the Tools->Options->Video dialog.  As I had said, the movie plays fine in Windows Media Player.  MC15 has allowed the user to select a different renderer/decoder other than the default, which obviously doesn't work.  One of the options available is the Windows Media Player engine.  Selecting that as the renderer/decoder for this file type solved the problem.  It now plays fine. 

For whatever reason, the WMP doesn't blink whereas MC15 doesn't like it at all.  As a side note, VLC player which plays virtually everything also had no problem playing it...I'm just sayin'

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

If they're not properly configured, WMP and VLC won't work either. And if they won't play something, or won't play it properly, or won't make proper use of a device on your system, you're much more likely SOL. But in the meantime, MC will allow you to avoid the complexities of having far greater control over your DirectShow filters by opting to use whatever inferior player you may prefer. I'm just sayin'. ;)

dpetr

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

"If they're not properly configured, WMP and VLC won't work either"

But they DO work!  So what's your point?  MC15 isn't "properly configured"?  Didn't know there was anything I needed to do beyond your basic installation.

"MC will allow you to avoid the complexities of having far greater control over your DirectShow filters by opting to use whatever inferior player you may prefer"

"inferior player", now that's odd.  WMP comes with Windows and VLC is free and both work.  "Inferior" becomes relative wouldn't you say?

In any event, thanks for your input.  It's duly noted.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »

The point is that with a choice of filters available, directshow players like MC15 and MPC-HC can offer superior playback quality in both audio and video. Because WMC and VLC work as a default doesn't make them better players - if you know what you're doing. Once you're familiar with setting up directshow filters, you'll quickly see what we're referring to. Finding the right combination of splitter, decoder and renderer yields awesome results.

Here's what I recommend currently:

Splitter: Gabest's MPC-HC splitter, now know as Matroska source/splitter.
(Haali will also work well, but you have to be careful about which version and multiple copies being installed simultaneously.)

h264 Video decoder: I'm a big fan of CoreAVC. It's under $20 and does CUDA acceleration if you have a compatible nVidia card.
MPC-HC's standalone video decoder also works well and offers DXVA with compatible nVidia and ATi cards.
FFDSHow also offers a good DXVA comaptible decoder.

Audio decoder: FFDShow audio decoder. Will decode AC3, DTS as well as TrueHD. It'll also passthrough Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to your receiver as well as the lossy formats AC3 and DTS.
AC3Filter used to be my favourite for just AC3 and DTS passthrough.

Subtitle filter: FFDShow's subtitle filter works very well for me.

Renderer EVR if using Vista or above.
Haali video renderer if using XP
MadVR if you can get it to work.

If you must get a codec pack, I have seen more success with Shark007's than with CCCP. Shark also posts support answers related to his pack on AVSforum. If you have the right hardware and download/buy the above software, you should get a really positive experience. All the software mentioned is free except CoreAVC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up