INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 15.0.49 doesn't play m4a files after update  (Read 2852 times)

debt_collector

• Recent member
MC 15.0.49 doesn't play m4a files after update
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »

MC 15.0.49 doesn't play m4a files after update. Is that a bug?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC 15.0.49 doesn't play m4a files after update
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:10 pm »

Did it play in an earlier build of MC15?  If so, what settings did you use to play the file type?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:23:09 pm »

It played all m4a files when previous version was installed with the same settings and same filters installed. Curiously, it appears that it only plays some m4a files but not others. This is the case in both my computers. The error message appears on some occasions and tells me that I have not installed the direct show filters to decode the file type that I am trying to play. Other M4a files play OK. How odd!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:08:17 am »

It played all m4a files when previous version was installed
Do you mean a previous build of MC15, or a previous major version, like MC14?

with the same settings and same filters installed.
What settings and filters?

Curiously, it appears that it only plays some m4a files but not others. This is the case in both my computers. The error message appears on some occasions and tells me that I have not installed the direct show filters to decode the file type that I am trying to play. Other M4a files play OK. How odd!

Different m4a files may contain different codecs.  Did exactly the same file that does not play now play previously?

One possible explanation is that those m4a files that do not play contain Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) whereas the files that do play have AAC.  The solution is to install DC-BASS filter.  Do a search on this board for keyword "DC-BASS".

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:48:23 am »

Do you mean a previous build of MC15, or a previous major version, like MC14?
I mean the previous build of MC15

What settings and filters?
I have directshow and dc-bass filters installed. I followed the instructions in wiki to enter the correct settings

Different m4a files may contain different codecs.  Did exactly the same file that does not play now play previously?
The very same files played previously

One possible explanation is that those m4a files that do not play contain Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) whereas the files that do play have AAC.  The solution is to install DC-BASS filter.  Do a search on this board for keyword "DC-BASS".

it's already installed

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:07:02 pm »

The issue is still unresolved. My MC v15 cant play some m4a files although I have DirectShow FilterPack 3.32 and dc-bass v1.11 filters installed. The settings for aac audio are: use jriver audio engine (using direct show files), the source filter is dc-bass. other filters is set to j.river bitrate monitor filter. The m4a files aren't corrupt and I know that because I can play them on my other PC using itunes. In my desperation I installed MC 15 and filters and reinstalled everything again after I read another thread where this solution helped. Sadly this wasn't the case here. So what do I do? see log below
http://pastebin.com/bNpMFfQ6

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »

It looks like we have discovered another limitation of DC-BASS version 1.11.  It does not handle UNC address.  Try mapping your shared folder to a local drive, or download DC-BASS 1.20.  It is strange that version 1.20 is not officially available at DSP-worx site, except a link in a forum thread.  It has been in perpetual beta.  Alternatively you can follow Alex B's posted in this thread, to get it from a different source.

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »

It looks like we have discovered another limitation of DC-BASS version 1.11.  It does not handle UNC address.  Try mapping your shared folder to a local drive, or download DC-BASS 1.20.  It is strange that version 1.20 is not officially available at DSP-worx site, except a link in a forum thread.  It has been in perpetual beta. Alternatively you can follow Alex B's posted in this thread, to get it from a different source.
I tired to install DC_BASS 1.2 as you suggested but got an error message telling me the dbasssource.ax was loaded but the call for DIIRegisterServer failed. I then reinstalled DC_BASS 1.11 and re-ripped the same album to my NAS drive using dbpoweramp. The m4a files then played fine from the NAS drive when they didn't before. I then moved another m4a album that didn't play to a local drive as you suggested and added it to the library. The same error occurred when I played this album from he local drive. here is the logfile http://pastebin.com/hk8GyiXAany ideas?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:26 pm »

A couple of years ago I noticed an issue with a certain type of ALAC/m4a file tags:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47737.msg327262#msg327262
Could your problem be caused by the same reason? Though, if the same files played previously that would be unlikely.

Regarding DC-Bass Source Filter v.1.2, did you try the latest Direct Show Filter Pack and run the "install.bat" file that is located in the "BASS Source Filter" subfolder? (You don't need to install the other included filters unless you actually need them).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

debt_collector

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:52:45 am »

A couple of years ago I noticed an issue with a certain type of ALAC/m4a file tags:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47737.msg327262#msg327262
Could your problem be caused by the same reason? Though, if the same files played previously that would be unlikely.
This solution worked! I tried it with MP3tag and the offending m4a files are now playing fine. What I can't work out is how to access the dbpoweramp m4a utility to optimise the tags. If you know, can you please let me know?

Regarding DC-Bass Source Filter v.1.2, did you try the latest Direct Show Filter Pack and run the "install.bat" file that is located in the "BASS Source Filter" subfolder? (You don't need to install the other included filters unless you actually need them).
Yes, i intially tried to install the dc-bass 1.2 from the DSP-worx forum which gave me the error message. I then unistalled it and installed the latest Direct Show Filter Pack but then the DC-BASS filter didn't appear in the audio decoders drop down menu.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »

I tired to install DC_BASS 1.2 as you suggested but got an error message telling me the dbasssource.ax was loaded but the call for DIIRegisterServer failed.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that registration in Vista and Windows 7 requires some extra steps.  You will not be able just run the register.bat file.  You have to start a Command Prompt, using administrator rights, then run register.bat from there.

This solution worked! I tried it with MP3tag and the offending m4a files are now playing fine. What I can't work out is how to access the dbpoweramp m4a utility to optimise the tags. If you know, can you please let me know?

I am glad that the problem is solved.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:39:15 am »

What I can't work out is how to access the dbpoweramp m4a utility to optimise the tags. If you know, can you please let me know?

Download and install "m4a Utilities" from here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm. After that "[m4a Optimize]" should appear as an available "Converting To" format. If you need more support please try the dBpoweramp support forum.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up