INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control a instance of MC using DNLA  (Read 1472 times)

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
Control a instance of MC using DNLA
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »

OK, so here's what I'd like to do.  Doesn't seem to work at the moment though.

INTEL-WHS: Windows Home Server box with 3 1TB drives holding media and running MC15 as a service (using instserv.exe and srvany.exe from the Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools) with Library Server and DNLA server running.  No audio or video outputs.

HTPC: Windows 7 box connecting as a Library Server Client to INTEL-WHS with DNLA Renderer and DNLA Controller enabled.
This machine has 3 Zones:
 1) HDMI - drives video to my projector and 7.1 audio to my AV receiver in my home theater
 2) Nuvo 1 - stereo zone to my whole house audio system
 3) Nuvo 2 - stereo zone to my whole house audio system
 4) Nuvo 3 - stereo zone to my whole house audio system

Nebula: Windows 7 box connecting as a Library Server Client to INTEL-WHS with DNLA Controller enabled.
This machine has 5 Zones visible:
  1) Zone 1 - Local zone connected to stereo speakers
  2-5) Zones from HTPC

What I'd like is to be able to select one of the Nuvo zones in Playing Now on Nebula and play music to it.  However, I get the error message that I have to have the DNLA Server running on Nebula.  It seem that if I'm running MC as a Library Server Client and the client has the DNLA server running, MC should hand the files to the DNLA renderer from the Library Server's DNLA Server.

-John

bob

• Administrator
Re: Control a instance of MC using DNLA
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »

This looks to be a variant of another request I've seen. The idea is to hand the renderer content from a different server without it having to pass-through the controller (MC), right?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:41:46 am »

This looks to be a variant of another request I've seen. The idea is to hand the renderer content from a different server without it having to pass-through the controller (MC), right?

Yep, that's the idea.

-John

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »

Not sure if this is the same thing, but found some time last weekend to catch up on MC 15 and the DLNA implementation. Did lots with MC13's uPnP and loved the idea, but its taken another 3 or 4 years to have enough devices now supporting DLNA.

Using m:Connect on teh iPhone/iPad/iTouch (need the purchased version) I can use it as a control point, browse the content on my Win2K3 server with MC15 running, and direct it to play on any of the PC's, or iDevices it can find as renderers.

The media does not traverse the control point. I'm using my iPhone/iPad as a remote control with Album art.
If all else fails its great fun to scare the kids when music or video's start up on there PC's in there bedrooms, without them touching it :-)

Apolgies if I misunderstood the request above.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:54:10 pm »

It's on the list. Just not at the top. Hopefully soon...
Pages: [1]   Go Up