INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .ape over Library Server  (Read 3396 times)

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
.ape over Library Server
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:03:06 am »

I'm streaming from my home server to my machine at work and I connect with my copy of MC15 without problems. But with I try to play some music, which is stored as .ape files, it plays, but for every third second or so there is a tiny glitch. Hard to say if it noise or silence, but it get very tiresome after awhile.

On the server the music is stored on a USB disc and I set it to transcode only if necessary, so I guess it streams ape.

I can stream to my winmo mobile without problems, but then it is streaming mp3 I would presume.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: .ape over Library Server
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 10:21:38 am »

APEs should stream fine, but you need the bandwidth.

Try setting the Media Server client to request conversion to MP3 from the server in Options > Network.  Does that change the hiccups?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:35 am »

Hi Matt,

tried it now but it didn't remove the hiccups. But as I mentioned I can steam to my winmo phone without problems. Could it be the PC at work ? But it is a reasonably speced Dell laptop...

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:41:42 am »

Hi Matt,

tried it now but it didn't remove the hiccups. But as I mentioned I can steam to my winmo phone without problems. Could it be the PC at work ? But it is a reasonably speced Dell laptop...

You could try playing a few files locally at work as a test

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:19 am »

You could try playing a few files locally at work as a test

I'm getting sloppy  :-[, sorry.

Yes, of course, I should have tried that before posting. Anyway; The hiccups are there when I try local music as well. I'll have to find out whats causing that, then... Oh well, nothing wrong with MC at least. :D

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 04:26:42 am »

I'm getting sloppy  :-[, sorry.

Yes, of course, I should have tried that before posting. Anyway; The hiccups are there when I try local music as well. I'll have to find out whats causing that, then... Oh well, nothing wrong with MC at least. :D

That's ok, I wasn't suggesting you were being sloppy, just suggesting it as an idea to help find the cause of your problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:35:16 am »

If you're using WebPlay to stream from home to work, try Library Server instead.

If the problem happens when just playing APE in MC from the local PC's drive, then it could be a virus checker or similar.

Run a benchmark in MC (under Help) and report the bottom line benchmark number).

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:47 am »

If you're using WebPlay to stream from home to work, try Library Server instead.

If the problem happens when just playing APE in MC from the local PC's drive, then it could be a virus checker or similar.

Run a benchmark in MC (under Help) and report the bottom line benchmark number).

Yes, it's Library Server I'm using. However it happens when I play files locally also. When I run the test the number I get is: 413

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:18 am »

413 is a low powered machine, but APE should still play OK.  W

What about the virus checker?

And are the files on an internal drive?

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:45:14 am »

413 is a low powered machine, but APE should still play OK.  W

What about the virus checker?

And are the files on an internal drive?

There is a corporate installation of McAfee VC, and there is nothing I can do about it, unfortunately. And yes, the files are on a internal drive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:57:20 am »

That may be the problem.  You could try converting a few to MP3 and test those. 

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »

That may be the problem.  You could try converting a few to MP3 and test those. 

Same problem with mp3. If the problem is related to VC it should be seen in the process list, and using a lot cpu, shouldn't it ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:19:32 pm »

Ok, I think you've got something odd going on.  See the link in my signature called "Weird Problems".  It's two pages of odd problems.   Maybe you'll find an idea there.

What happens with Windows Media Player?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 02:19:43 pm »

Good find that local playback doesn't work either.

Switch outputs between DirectSound, ASIO, WaveOut, etc.  Try increasing the buffering of the output to 1 second (from the default of 0.5 seconds).

Also, upgrade your soundcard drivers if you're allowed.

Let us know what you find.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 04:35:35 pm »

Good find that local playback doesn't work either.

Switch outputs between DirectSound, ASIO, WaveOut, etc.  Try increasing the buffering of the output to 1 second (from the default of 0.5 seconds).

Also, upgrade your soundcard drivers if you're allowed.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I get back to work tomorrow and try out the different things. BTW, I upgraded the drivers earlier today, but it didn't have any effect.

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 05:44:59 am »

Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I get back to work tomorrow and try out the different things. BTW, I upgraded the drivers earlier today, but it didn't have any effect.

Changed to Wave Out and Presto ! It worked, both on local files and via Library Server. Now I've just got to change the Always Convert setting to When Necessary on the Server to see if that makes any differences. But I'm pretty sure that this was a client problem. Thanks a lot for the help !
Pages: [1]   Go Up