INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Client - search manually for library servers every day?  (Read 1472 times)

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi
Im still getting my head around the Media Server/Client thing.

It seems each time I start my Client I have to manually find the Server by going to File>Library>Search for Library Servers...

Is that really what one has to do, or is there some way to make it find the Library Server automatically every time?

Thanks,
Mark.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

It's normal and correct for the filenames of the media to not change when connecting to a Library Server.  This way, views built from filenames continue to work perfectly on a client.

If you're converting, you need the MP3 encoder installed on the server.  It might be stuck on the server asking you for permission to install.

If that's not it, try changing the client's conversion settings in Options > Network > Library Server Client.  Also, try playing other types of content.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck

EDIT AGAIN:

Hi,
I restarted both the server and client and it worked again, ie, i got the client to read the server's library.

BUT
I got the same problem again. Trying to connect Search for Library Servers. When I try to connect, it first says "attempting to find media server..." then  "connecting to server..." then error: "Media Center failed to load the library, Default (1) and will attempt to load the previously selected library."

What caused it to NOT work was that I was trying to do a shuffle play of ALL my music. MC choked, spluttered, and I had to force kill the process, and when I restarted MC, it was not working again. Restarting the client did not work. I will try restart the Server oo... but I guess if the Server restart makes it work, then I imagine the Server is still trying to Shuffle my entire +30,000 track library and has a "brain freeze" when I try to access it from the restarted Client.

tx
Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Are you using the client to play on the client or on the server?

Can you reproduce the problem each time you try to shuffle play all?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck

Are you using the client to play on the client or on the server?

Can you reproduce the problem each time you try to shuffle play all?

Thanks.

Hi Matt,
thanks for the responses...

the client has no media, but it does not remember to find the server each time I start it, so when I start the client it has a huge amount of album covers etc, but not the same as the server (probably a relic of my trying to scan the entire library over the network some weeks ago.) So each time I have to find the Server manually again.

I have reproduced the brain freeze/not responding/not connecting twice by clicking on Albums, then clicking on one album, then ctrl-a to select all albums, then dragging that to playing now. That seems to flip it out completely... way too much work for it. Then when I eventually kill the client, I suspect the server is still trying to do it's job, so when I restart the client the server ignores the client - would that make any sense?

I have, however, found a way to shuffle play all without any problem at all, and that is to click on the expanding triangle next to Albums, then RH click on All Albums (top of the Albums list) and select Play. That starts playback with no delay or problem. I the problem comes in when trying to add so much data to a now playing list.

Tx again Matt,
Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up